55 Gallon Tank - Filtration...

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

Deezil

55 Gallon Tank - Filtration...

Post by Deezil » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:05 pm

Hey Guys (and Ladies),

I'm new here, but love the site..

Anyways, i just got a 55 gallon tank (48L x 13W x 20H) and im curious about filtration.. Right now, i have two Chocolate Cichlids, and a Pleco, in a 20 gallon, with a 20 gallon AquaClear filter.. and frankly, it creates one hell of a current - supposedly does 100gph, but it launches water halfway down the tank when exiting the filter.. Are there any filteration system that would be recommended for my bigger tank? With the tank being 48 inches long, would it be wise to have a filtration system on each end?

I've heard/seen a lot of people recommend using Emporer filters... Are these really as superior as people say they are? Do they have a tendancy to create a strong current too? I've read, and seen in my own tank, that my Cichlids like to stick to the calmer parts of the tank...

I've been looking around, but i cant seem to figure out where Chocolate Cichlids come from.. South America or Central?...

Any help is greatly appreciated... Thanks!

Don Hiatt
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Don Hiatt » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:05 am

I just picked up an Aquaclear 110 (500) as a second filter to help a Fluval 404 for my 125 gallon.

The reason I go with two filters on many of my tanks is the simple fact that most comercially available filters will not operate at 100 all the time.
As they clog up, you start to lose efficiancy. If you lose one filter, at least the other will handle the task.

From my experiance, I could only count on a new filter being reliable for 3-4 years at the most.

Many filters will lose their prime (the filter can't start to move water again) if the power dips or goes out. If this happens when you are at work or school, the filter can burn up and will need a new motor. Not to mention your fish wouldn't last long.

Powerheads can also be used as a power filter with the addition of a foam sponge filter.

A second heater is not a bad idea either. You can set one a little lower than the other. That way, if one dies (and they do with cichlids knocking them), you still have a back up.

MatsP

Post by MatsP » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:15 am

I agree with Nandus - having two different filters is clearly a good idea.

The filter should turn over the tank at least a couple of times an hour.

In my large tlank, I've got one internal filter (Juwel Jumbo) and one external (Eheim Professional II 2028). Both should pump around 1000 liter per hour (around 250 gph). The tank is 400 liter (around 110 g). I also have a powerhead pump to just circulate water, which adds another 1000 lph (250 gph), the tank turns over around 7 times per hour.

An internal filter has the advantage of not needing to "prime" itself, i.e, it doesn't rely on siphoning water from the tank and pumping it back up again, something that doesn't work if there is a certain amount of air in the system - which is when they fail to restart.

Having more than one filter also gives the advantage of being able to clean one filter, without loosing the entire filtration capacity at that time.

--
Mats

Deezil

Post by Deezil » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:56 pm

I just picked up a Emperor 400 filter today.. gonna give it a go...

Says it pumps around 400 gph... which, on a 55 gallon tank... should be plenty lol..

It was either this, designed for up to an 80 gallon tank, or the Emperor 280, designed for up to a 50 gallon tank... and this being a 55 gallon tank, i went with the larger, figuring if anything, it wouldnt hurt.. Last thing i need is my filter struggling to cycle all the water..

MatsP

Post by MatsP » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:21 pm

Sure, as long as the fish are OK with a lot of flow (and I think your's are, it's just that there are SOME fish that don't like lots of water movement), then bigger filter -> better filter.

Also, the companies making filters usually overestimate their capacity, both when it comes to the tank they are suitable for, and the actual flow rate - it may well flow 400 gph if you have no filter media, but once you've got something IN the filter, it's no longer doing that - and filters don't do much good without media... :-(

--
Mats

Deezil

Post by Deezil » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:23 pm

Yeah i kinda figured that if i went with the bigger one, it would give me a bit more lee-way... i dont really expect 400 gph... the filter itself is huge lol.. hopefully it'll all work out for the best..

Return to “General Cichlids”