New to the world of Cichlids

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

Sandy

New to the world of Cichlids

Post by Sandy » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:40 pm

I started a tank of Cichlids in July, so I am very new to this type of fish. I was wondering if someone could confirm the kind of Cichlids they are. The person (store) only said that they were Africans. But I have looked on the net to find out that there is more to it.

I have an orange one named Pumpkin that mesures 2.5 inches, not sure as to what gendre it is.

Another one that is bright yellow named Mellow 3 inches, unsure of gender.

A dark blue with one with vertical stipes 2.5 inches, named Storm, gender?

A light blue one, named Bell, I think it's electric, but seems to be quite small 1.5 inches, gender?

An albino, with pink/red eyes, named Al, 1 inch, gender?

And last but not least, a dark brown 2 inches named Koko, gender ?

Mellow the yellow one has been digging holes and he/she's behaviour is getting to be very aggresive. It doesn't let any other fish swim by its side of the tank, with the only exception of the dark blue one with stripes. Does anyone know what's going on?

I appreciate your time and hope that someone will explain the world of Cichlids to me..... :wink:

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:03 pm

Many of the fish you describe could be more than one species of cichlid. Is there any way you could post pics here or post a link to some pics? That way the ID can be done much better without a lot of guessing. :)

Sandy

New to the world....

Post by Sandy » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:58 pm

Thanks Lisa for responding so fast. I will get some pictures for you soon.

:)

But, would you know why one of my fish is moving the gravel around (digging) ?

Dave Schumacher
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dave Schumacher » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:40 am

Many cichlids will dig pits, especially around rock structures. They are simply claiming their territory.
Dave Schumacher
http://www.davesfish.com

Return to “General Cichlids”