can any chiclids go with schooling fish in a 55 gal.???

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

NCpanther0900

can any chiclids go with schooling fish in a 55 gal.???

Post by NCpanther0900 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:27 pm

i just got a 55 gallon tank can any chiclids go in a 55 gallon tank with other fish? what about if i bought baby chiclids which whould be the lease aggriesive.
Thanks
--zach

MatsP

Post by MatsP » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:26 am

The moderators may want to move this to "General cichlid" or something like that...

The simple answer to your question is: Yes.

But the complexity of this is that there out of several hundred of different cichlids that are suitable for aquariums in the first place, only a few are suitable for keeping in "community tanks".

Which are more suitable depends a lot on what other fish you have in the tank, and also what water parameters you would have in the tank. It's not just as easy as saying "Specie X would work", because it may not be suitable for your water, or your (intended) tank-mates may be wrong for this particular specie.

In general Rams (Microgeophagus spp.) and Angel-fish (Pterophyllum scalare) are both relatively docile and friendly in a tank. Yes, they will attack other fish when they are breeding, and really small fish [neon's or similar] will be seen as suitable snacks in-between your morning and evening feeds, at least by angel-fish ;-) Both of these species will prefer if the water is soft and slightly acidic. If you have hard water, then there are perhaps better species, although if you're not planning on breeding the fish, my [ex-father-inlaws(rip)] Angels are perfectly happy in my tank with normal southern english hard tap-water.

Dwarf cichlids, Apistogramma spp. are also reasonably non-aggressive.

For a bigger tank, you could have some Satanoperca spp or Geophagus spp, but with a 55g tank, that's not a suitable option (they grow to 8-10" long, and a 55g tank is only 13" wide), and I don't think it's a good idea to get the fish until you have the tank to keep them. [Plans like this tend to get put to the side when other things happen, and you end up not getting the new big tank until the fish has already suffered from being in a cramped tank].

There are almost certainly several other options. If you give some more details of what other fish you'd have in the tank, whether you have soft or hard water, etc, etc, and there will probably be some more ideas to come.

--
Mats

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:28 am

MatsP has given you some pretty decent information. It's actually better to plan out what fish you want, and then ask if they'll get along first before you get them. Do you have any ideas of what fish/cichlids you are talking about?

Return to “General Cichlids”