Breeding Salvini and Texas

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

reeves54

Breeding Salvini and Texas

Post by reeves54 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:54 am

My Salvini and texas have laid eggs on the back wall of a little cave. Some of the eggs are white and others are clear. The salvini is the caretaker she does not allow anybody near chasing off my red terror and green terror that are easily two times larger than her. My question is whats next? I just noticed the eggs last night. What should I do. I do not want the other fish or the texas to eat the babies. I have a spare 30 gallon should I get that running again? ANY info would help.

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:49 pm

Are you saying that 2 different species spawned together? If so, most people (myself included) don't like when that happens. If it was my fish, I'd let the others eat the eggs/fry. However, if you REALLY want to raise them (just remember, you won't be able to keep them all, and most people don't want to buy crosses), then yes... you might want to start up the 30 gallon for when the fry are big enough to move.

reeves54

Post by reeves54 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:43 pm

Yes it is a crossbreed and I know that some people find them undesireable, but I want to raise them to see what they look like not to sell maybe give to a couple of buddies but that is it. My concern is that the Texas may eat the babies should i move him or move the salvini and the babies? The mother salvini is now getting agressive towards the texas and this is my first time with babies and I want it to go smoothly.

Ken Boorman
Administrator

Post by Ken Boorman » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:12 pm

I would pull the Texas - the salvini should be able to look after the fry (when/if they hatch) by herself.

Ken
A.N.G.F.A. North American Co-ordinator

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Willem Heijns » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:40 am

if you tell a secret to only a few people, how long do you think it takes for the secret to go public? :roll:
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:23 am

That is why you can't trust anymore the pictures of aquarium fish you see and it is getting quite boring to try to help identify fish for other people. I think that as crossbreeding can be done, it is unavoidable to it happens. Everything must be tried, regarless of the effects it may cause. It is in human nature.
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

The Cichlid Room Companion
http://www.cichlidae.info

Return to “General Cichlids”