cichlids for peaceful community

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

barand

cichlids for peaceful community

Post by barand » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:05 pm

Hello, I have a 29 gallon tank containing two mikrogeophagus altispinosus (bolivian ram) and two mikrogeophagus ramerizi.

I really like these fish and would like more small (4 to 6 cm) cichlids of different types.

Can anyone tell me how I can get a list of cichlids that are relatively peaceful like the ones I already have?

Thanks!

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:42 pm

I think you've already reached the limit of territory of both of those species in that tank. Unless you're going to set up another tank, you may want to leave things as they are.

Randall
CichlidRoom Expert

Community cichlids

Post by Randall » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:05 pm

Hello Barand,

Lisa's right on the money; it sounds to me like you're maxed out on dwarf cichlids for a 29-gallon tank. You could add some dither fish (small tetras or Nanostomus spp.), however. Given the preferred temperatures of your two Mikrogeophagus spp., one species might thrive at the expense of the other: M. ramirezi prefer warmer water than M. altispinosa.

For info about other dwarf cichlid species, you could pick up a copy of Linke & Staeck's 1994 book (out of print) or Romer's atlas. Lisa should be able to help you get them.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn
Have you fed your fish a shrimp today?

Return to “General Cichlids”