re: unknown cichlid?

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

bullwinkie3

re: unknown cichlid?

Post by bullwinkie3 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:16 pm

Hello. I am a "new fish" in owning cichlids. I bought 4 cichlids about 20 days ago. Two are red devils and the other two were identified by the fish store as "Saulosi" from Taiwan, although their shape, appearance and behavior seem identical to a tank that contained mixed South American cichlids. One of these Saulosi, however, is brilliantly marked - deep purple with vertical turqouise stripes on the body and two horizontal turquoise bands across the face. His (I am pretty sure it's a male) fins are pale purple with black tips. He has gold-rimmed eyes and a distinctive gold spot and the base of his tail fin. My other Saulosi is solid yellow gold. The striped Saulosi is extremely territorial and aggressive and chases both red devils and the gold Saulosi.

I am unable to find any reference to this fish. The closest match I found visually was an Elongatus.

Please HELP! This fish's appearance is truly amazing and I believe he is spawning with the gold one as I write. I appreciate any feedback offered, expecially as to Stripe's identity and what type of breeders these cichlids are.

Thanks,
bullwinkie3 :?:
Don't pet the sweaty stuff

M.Danforth

Post by M.Danforth » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:41 pm

Troy

Post by Troy » Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:43 pm

bullwinkie3 ; Welcome to the Cichlid Room :D

Can you post pictures of your cichlids?

Red Devils and "Saulosi" are generally not kept in the same tank.

We need to make sure we are talking about the right cichlid species before giving you advice.

If you do not have a camera or can not post a picture
Do a Google search on each cichlid and see if you can confirm that any of the pictures and names match with your cichlids then let us know.
If it was so,it might be;and if it were so,it would be;but as it isn't,it ain't.That's logic.Tweedledee.Image

Return to “General Cichlids”