mixing big cichlids

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

MDOU

mixing big cichlids

Post by MDOU » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 pm

Hello all :D

I am MDOU. I am new to this forum and I have some questions.

I have many cichlids but I have recently(within the last six months) obtained young groups of Pollenii, Synspilums and Blackbelts. From these groups of young I hope to obtain a pair of each species and to keep them together as adults.

My questions are:

Can i keep those three cichlids together in the same aquarium :?:

And if so how big is the smallest sized aquarium i can keep them in (i was thinking of a 7"x2"x2") :?:

thanks for any/all replies :D

Lisachromis
Administrator

Re: mixing big cichlids

Post by Lisachromis » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:06 am

MDOU wrote:Hello all :D
And if so how big is the smallest sized aquarium i can keep them in (i was thinking of a 7"x2"x2") :?:
I am assuming you mean a 7' x 2' x 2' tank which would make it approx. 210 USG. Hopefully someone can help you with that as my biggest fish are actually discus, C. moorii and a bluegill sunfish. Nothing bigger.

MDOU

Post by MDOU » Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:05 am

thanks anyway :)

MDOU

Post by MDOU » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:31 am

can anyone else help me :?: :)

Troy

Post by Troy » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:37 pm

If it was so,it might be;and if it were so,it would be;but as it isn't,it ain't.That's logic.Tweedledee.Image

MDOU

Post by MDOU » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:51 am

i'm gonna skip the synspillums 8)

their too boring :roll:

Lyle

Post by Lyle » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:01 am

ive got a question for lisa. are those the same blue gill sunnies that are found thruout lakes and small ponds in north america????? cant be if that is one of the biggest fish you own??? i mean those are the only bluegill sunfish that i have seen and ive seen them only in the wild. if you could call new jersey lakes and ponds wild. if it is the same fish that i am thinking of, i just find it interesting that someone would keep them in an aquarium setup!! i mean in lakes and ponds they are kinda shunned by fisherman. i mean i have been fishing and found some fishing line tied to a log and when i pulled it up i found about 10-12 sunnies all with the fishing line thru their gills. it was just kinda sad that someone would do that to the lil buggers. oh and i did cut the line and let them free.

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:16 pm

Hi Lyle,

Yes, these are the same sunnies. See my female sunnie here - Image

Bluegills can reach lengths of 16" though I seriously doubt mine will get that big. She's about 8" now. We've had her for 2 years approximately. Very easy to get used to tank living. Took to pellets the first day she was in the tank. She eats flake, pellets, worms and guppy culls. North American native fish are highly prized by many European aquarists. There are so many interesting fish that are in our own rivers/lakes/streams. There are at least two societies I know of dedicated to keeping natives in aquariums. NANFA (North American Native Fishes Association) and NFC (Native Fish Conservancy). Sunnies are almost cichlids! They have great personalities and if kept right, will spawn for you in a tank. I hadn't planned on getting a bluegill (largest sunnie), but we were given a small sunfish that we planned on keeping, and once in our tank, we discovered it would get large but couldn't place it back where we got it. I couldn't kill a perfectly healthy fish... so... we have Sunnie. :)

Ken Boorman
Administrator

Post by Ken Boorman » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:21 pm

She is actually quite colourful now. Since that photo was taken, the bottom jawline and gill cover has turned a lovely shade of blue - hence the name I suppose. She loves it when I dig in the garden and find some earthworms. Once, I was feeding her and Lisa asked me something. I turned to answer her and Sunnie jumped up and snatched the worm out of my fingers! Surprised me, she never hurt me :)

Ken
A.N.G.F.A. North American Co-ordinator

MDOU

Post by MDOU » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:30 pm

interesting and all but it still doesn't answer my question :)

Lyle

Post by Lyle » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:40 pm

yea i didnt mean to hijack your thread MD. but i am sorry to say i dont know too much about the fish you are talking about so i am of no help to your situation, sorry :(

Marco Arroyo

Hi there

Post by Marco Arroyo » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:30 pm

Yes you can keep this three fish, but the problem will presente when they grow up, and they will try to mate, cause the will defend a territory and will star fight each other, i just recomend that you decide just for one type of cichlid i will go with polleni they are cool and smoth, and try to setup another tank so you can put all your vieja cichlids, tke care

MDOU

Post by MDOU » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:18 am

would it be any use trying to divide the tank with a large piece of wood so that the black belts are unable to get to the polleni when one another are breeding :?:

Marco Arroyo

Division

Post by Marco Arroyo » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:51 am

well yes, you can use some piece of wood but i cant imagine how this can be acomplish, because you need to have a wood free of elements that can harm the quality of the water, i recommend better to use one plastic piece call egg crate you can buy them at any store specialize in lights, or in home depot, but be sure to hold pretty hard cause the cichlids you have will move the crate very easily

MDOU

Post by MDOU » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:08 am

how about purspecs sheets and rocks for stability :?

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:18 pm

Perspex is known as plexiglass here in North America (at least it's some sort of acrylic). :)

MDOU

Post by MDOU » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:52 pm

update...............

any way i am getting an 8' x 2' x 2' for the pollenii and BB and plecos and Eel-tail catfish

heres a link to a thread about the tank on plecofanatics.com

http://www.plecofanatics.com/forum/show ... hp?t=13380

the BB have been breeding for me lately, nothing sucessful yet as they spend their time bickering(sp) and not actually raising th eggs

also the 'lazy pollenii' prob has fixed itself as now for some reason the have picked themselves up and i see them swiming quite regulary now :)

peace out, MDOU

Return to “General Cichlids”