Need to ID a Cichlid

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

benicio

Need to ID a Cichlid

Post by benicio » Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:35 pm

I just acquired a Cichlid, I was told it was a Kenyi cichlid, but now I have found out that some of the information the seller gave was incorrect. Now I am not sure what cichlid I bought. He told me it was a Kenyi and that he could not tell if it was a male or a female until it was older, he would be able to tell by the forehead of the male, which would be more square-like than the female.

Later I read that the male Kenyi turns orange-redish while the female remains blue as they grow older.

Any help would be appreciated. I would like to know what type of cichlid I bought and, if possible, if it is a male or female.

A bad picture can be found at:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/foru ... entid=1323

The fish in the picture is about 1 inch long.

Thanks!

Ken Boorman
Administrator

Post by Ken Boorman » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:52 pm

Hi Benicio,
I really don't think you have a Pseudotropheus lombardoi (kennyi) there at all. It seems to have too many vertical stripes and is too elongated. I can't say what it is - I'll have to leave it to the "Malawi experts" on the forum to voice their opinions.

Ken
A.N.G.F.A. North American Co-ordinator

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:09 am

Personally, I don't think it's a kennyi (Pseudotropheus lombardoi) either. Males actually get yellow, not orange-red. See here for more info on kennyis. Do a search online for them and you'll see what Ken means about the stripes and the body shape.

Troy

Post by Troy » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:45 pm

Benicio : From your picture I think you have a Pseudotropheus Elongatus from the quality of your picture I can not make a precise identification.

Look at the link and determine for your self. :wink:

http://malawicichlids.com/mw09006c.htm

Hope this helps.
If it was so,it might be;and if it were so,it would be;but as it isn't,it ain't.That's logic.Tweedledee.Image

benicio

Post by benicio » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:39 pm

I am going to post a new picture. After reading your comments I compared the picture with the fish and the fish's body is not as narrow as it looks in the picture.

I'll get a couple of pictures from different angles and will try to get a better quality picture.

My fish is kind of loossing its colouring. It is not as blue and the stripes are much more pale than they were... maybe a sign that it is a kenyi changing its colors....

I'll post a better picture as soon as I can take one.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out.

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:03 pm

We'll be glad to check out the new pics. It's always good to make sure of an ID! :)

Return to “General Cichlids”