Mixing Question

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

Do you mix your lakes? (Tanganyika, Malawi, Victoria)

Never, you shouldn't mix them!
42%
Sure, why couldn't you?
53%
I don't know if I am or not...
5%

Total votes: 19

Lisachromis
Administrator

Mixing Question

Post by Lisachromis » Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:09 am

:shock:

Troy

Post by Troy » Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:02 am

I use to never mix different African lakes, I use to be against it but over time have come to view all African cichlids as suitable tank partners, and Aggression and territorial requirements and tank size being bigger factors in the success rate. I am also sure you could find many attestations of successful tanks with many various mixes, some successful some not. After all we often keep catfish or some kind of loach in our tanks that do not have an African lake origin. I on the other hand am still against mixing new and old world cichlids, for various reasons. So mixing different cichlids still comes back to a personal choice. Were some cichlids are put together by choice and others due to inexperience. Cheers…. Troy. :)
If it was so,it might be;and if it were so,it would be;but as it isn't,it ain't.That's logic.Tweedledee.Image

Willy

Mixing

Post by Willy » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:51 pm

:x
Never do that!
Of course it is possible,and sometimes with good results,but that is not the question.
What will happen if you put an Serengeti-lion on the planes in the Yellowstone-park?
Or maybe Elks(Wapitis) on the planes of Africa?
Don't tell me now that these fish come all from Africa.
Do you only a little bit know how big Africa is,and how many different habitats are there.
And no,Europe is not only one country to!
I hope i give some people reason to think...
Willy
Willy,Male,Holland,Dwarfs,West-Africa,Central-Amerika,South-America,Tanganjika,Author of articles,Give lectures to.

Return to “General Cichlids”