Cichlid from Yemen

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

Paulo José Alves

Cichlid from Yemen

Post by Paulo José Alves » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:41 am

Hi

I was told that someone had caught Cichlids in Yemen. There are no known Cichlids in that region, are they introduced, what are they? Anyone knows anything about this?
All The Best
Paulo José

MatsP

Post by MatsP » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:56 am

People use various Tilapia spp. for food in many other regions, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was what had happened.

As you say, there are no known Cichlids in Yemen, and according to Fishbase.org, Yemen only has eleven different freshwater species of fish, most of which are Cyprinidae (6 species).

Another possibility is of course that it's actually not a cichlid at all, and maybe even a marine fish of some sort...

Btw, Fishbase usually has listed species that are introduced too, but of course if it's a limited number of escapee's, they may not have been noted by Fishbase yet...

--
Mats

Paulo José Alves

Post by Paulo José Alves » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:43 am

Dear MatsP

Yes, an introduction of some sort of Tilapia was my first thought. However tha fact is that Biogeografically the existence of Cichlids in that area makes every sense.
FishBase is great but it´s very incomplete. Which of course is understandabel due to the mammoth task at hand.
All The Best
Paulo José

Return to “General Cichlids”