Introuction and a few questions

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

MatsP

Post by MatsP » Tue May 24, 2005 6:32 am

I can't make many comments here, since I'm very unfamiliar with the African cichlids (I had a couple of Pseudotropheus Zebra and one other specie some 20 or so years ago, but that's my only real experience in rift lake cichlids).

In general there are a few things to consider when choosing fish:
1. Do you like the fish?
2. What size does it grow to -> will it live to full size in your tank.
3. Does it go well with the other occupants of the tank?
4. How many of these do you need to make the fish happy? A single Neon isn't quite as happy as one that has 15 friends nearby, whilst a dozen Betta Splendens (Siamese Fighter) in a tank will definitely not go well, no matter how large the tank is.
5. With the intended purchase, grown to it's full size, will the tank still cope with the bioload, i.e. will you be able to keep the fish healthy with the "dirt" produced by these fish?

To get a reasonable answer on which species goes with what other species, I think you'd be better of first finding out what's available through your LFS. That way, you can probably eliminate about half or two thirds of your wish-list. That in turn will make it easier for someone who knows these fish to answer.

Finally, it may be a good idea to take the cropped list to the "Malawi" section. This forum isn't hugely active, but I'm sure some members don't read the areas that don't concern fish of their particular interest, so you will get more potential "answerers" from that section.

--
Mats

--
Mats

charmed74k

Thanks again

Post by charmed74k » Tue May 24, 2005 6:39 am

I have tried a few other sites as well with not much help. You and the admid that have been chatting with me have been the most helpful. Thank you very much :). I will take your advice to heart and i will move this post as well. Thanks again :)
Love your fish!

Return to “General Cichlids”