Floating Fish

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

jebadiah04

Floating Fish

Post by jebadiah04 » Mon May 02, 2005 4:20 pm

Well i was at a buddy's place, he asked me to stop by last night and have a few beers and noticed his Jack Demsey could not sink. He is at least a year old in the 4-5 inch range, real good looking fish.

He was bulged up at the belly a little bit and was trying his hardest to get to the bottom, only to find himself shooting back to the surface. Whats wrong with this guy???
My buddy said he had been hanging out at the surface for a day or two, but he just thought thats where we wanted to chill out.
At first we just thought he was retarded then started to notice that it wasn't his fault and that he is a lil fatter than normal.

Please help us diagnose the problem and how to fix him if need be.

I wasn't exactly sure where he came from so i decided to post it in this forum sorry for any malposting procedures.
~Brent

polleni
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by polleni » Mon May 02, 2005 6:05 pm

It sounds like dropsy (Malawi bloat). Internal bacterial infection. I am copying from http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/aq ... ase_4.html :

Malawi bloat (bacterial disease - gram negative)
DISEASE Causal pathogen(s) not certain - possibly multiple fungal/bacterial or viral infection. It could be due to a metabolic or nutritional disorder.
SYMPTOMS Fish's body bloats out (as though full of roe) and, viewed from above, scales stand away from body producing a pineapple-like appearance - most common in Carp family and Anabantids. Long, pale faecal casts. Ulcers on body, pale gills and a "pop eye" appearance are also common.
TREATMENT As soon as abdominal swelling is noted, isolate the fish and treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic. Early treatment is essential. You could use oxytetracycline (20-100 mg/ liter; five days bath, may need repeating), tetracycline hydrochloride (40-100 mg/ liter; five days bath, may need repeating) or minocycline hydrochloride. For minocycline we recommend 250mg/10 gallons of water. On day 2 change all the water and add the medicine again at the same dose for another 2 days. Increase aeration during treatment. Do not use minocycline a third time in a raw. Caution: tetracyclines are photo sensitive - turn lights off during treatment - better still cover the whole tank with a blanket. If the fish is still eating, soak the food in a concentrated solution of the antibiotic before feeding.
PREVENTION Avoid overfeeding or feeding the wrong kind of food (e.g. vegetable matters to carnivores).

For more details you can also read this :

http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/aq ... you05.html

I hope this helps
Black Diamonds are for Ever

jebadiah04

Post by jebadiah04 » Mon May 02, 2005 6:22 pm

i dont thinks its diet has been changed at all... could this rule malwai bloat out?
~Brent

polleni
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by polleni » Mon May 02, 2005 7:12 pm

No, the symptoms are classic for bloat. Diet is reported to play a role in the development of bloat although I haven't found any rock solid evidence supporting this. This may be the case for strictly herbivores (e.g. Tropheus species) but in general diet may or may not trigger dropsy. In my opinion, wrong diet my speed up the process of dropsy but not be the sole causing factor for it. Moreover, time is against you - the sooner you start treatment the better the odds for the fish - and 48 hours is already too long.

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Mon May 02, 2005 9:06 pm

Maybe it's something to do with the swimbladder. I know bloat can affect them, but was wondering if maybe he damaged himself in some way.

jebadiah04

Post by jebadiah04 » Mon May 02, 2005 9:54 pm

we started treatment today for him, we isolated him and got some anti biotics that we are hoping will help. We also put him in a dark area under a towel. We put a large coral wannnabe structure in there for him to lodge himsel under. He stil likes to be under water but his bloating is making it so he has to get himself stuck under something to stay under water. While we were lookin at him we noticed that he would like to go under the plants in the aquarium, under a stem of one and camp out there for a while.
~Brent

jebadiah04

Post by jebadiah04 » Wed May 04, 2005 7:18 pm

we went and got some anti-biotic stuff and it cleared him up right away. After 24 hours the bloatin was almost gone and today he looks 100%
~Brent

polleni
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by polleni » Wed May 04, 2005 7:24 pm

Nice news.. Please, do not stop the treatment simply because the symptoms are gone. It is recommended to stick to the posology (dosage / duration of treatment) recommended by the manufacturer of the medication.

Return to “General Cichlids”