Other Creatures in same tank as Cichlids?

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

fishinmyeye

Other Creatures in same tank as Cichlids?

Post by fishinmyeye » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:22 pm

Hi,
I am relatively new to the hobby and I am thoroughly enjoying myself!
I have a pretty well established 29 gallon tank with about 20 smallish - med size african cichlids of various sorts. I was wondering if other creatures (any species of crabs, shellfish, eel, etc.) can live in the same pH or tank (perhaps after adjusting them to it with a drip) as the cichlids.
Thanks for any and all help!
Dave

PS I really don't have any interest in breeding if that makes any difference I am not sure. Thanks again! :)

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:08 pm

You have 20 cichlids in a 29 gallon tank? :shock:
That's WAY too many for that size of tank. Do you know what species of cichlids you have now?

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:12 pm

Although you can keep more creatures in a cichlid tank that just cichlids, that requires a big deal of expertise and I would never recommed it to you until you gain enough knowledge and experience in tank keeping and the biology of the species involved. Results can be very satisfactory but it is by not means an easy goal to achieve. A disaster is very likely to happen if this is taken lightly.

Good luck
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

The Cichlid Room Companion
http://www.cichlidae.info

Return to “General Cichlids”