Some help in identification, please!

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

dgro

Some help in identification, please!

Post by dgro » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:02 am

Hi there, greetings from melting Russia!
I've got occasionally a pair of cichlids, which here in Russia seem to be known only on local S.Petersburg market, under non-scientific name of "neon acar". It is not too easy to get a complete key book here, so I would appreciate any help in identification - this might be some hybrid circulating locally, or some not too popular in Russia species. Adults (at least mines :) ) are 6 - 7 inches long, female is a bit smaller than the male is. Fotos follow below. Thanks in advance for any help!
Last edited by dgro on Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

coelacanth
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by coelacanth » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:31 am

They're true Cichlasoma sp., possibly good old Port Acaras, Cichlasoma portalegrense. Hard to tell whether it's the lighting or the fish themselves, but there appears to be a bluish cast to them that might mean they've been dyed. Hopefully this will fade away without causing any problems for the fish, and you'll be left with a nice healthy pair of one of the very first Cichlid species to enter the aquarium hobby.

dgro

Post by dgro » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:05 pm

Thanks, coelacanth! Would be nice if you are right. As for the color - no, the color on last two images is quite close to their natural one, the first image is really shifted to blue, but because of digital imaging - not after a dye (I've put this one because it better shows the body shape, I think.)
The light might have an effect, here below I put another image, made with a flash - probably this woul be the color you expect, yah?
I keep them for longer than year already, and you can see small spots on the second image - these are their "children"... ;)

coelacanth
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by coelacanth » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:40 am

Yes, that looks like normal colouration. Nice pair of fish, this species was also widely used for early behavioural research because it bred so readily and showed strong pair-bonding and fry care.

dgro

Post by dgro » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:07 pm

coelacanth, thanks again - now, after some information search, I am quite sure I have Cichlasoma portalegrense in my tank. They are really pleasant in keeping and watching!
It's wonderful to get such a good and quick advise, I will bookmark this site at the very top of my list, for future questions! :)

Paulo José Alves

Post by Paulo José Alves » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:10 am

Hi

They can indeed be C. portalegrensis but there are similar species all over South America... and the diferences bettwen all the members of the C. bimaculata group are small.
All The Best
Paulo José

dgro

Post by dgro » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:27 am

Paulo, thank you for the reply.
After seing some pictures available in the Internet, I have an impression that these might be mixed species, or some intermediate forms, shown as C.portalegrensis. And having some experience in amoeba systematics, I can imagin how complicated precise identification can be :) .[/quote]

Return to “General Cichlids”