Need fish ID please

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

lemurtx

Need fish ID please

Post by lemurtx » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:20 am

I've posted these on a local board. The larger fish in the first picture was identified as Melanochromis Auratus. No one seems to be sure on the second one. They're both around 6 years old. The smaller one I think is a female, as I saw some evidence of eggs. These are the best pictures I have of the smaller one, I just can't seem to get a good one. (They were given to me by a friend, who had them in the 20 gal. tank with a divider).

Thanks,
Yvonne

Willy

Melanochromis species

Post by Willy » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:45 am

:D H Yvonne,
First i must say that i am not really an expert on Malawi-issues,but i think the both fishes are maybe cross-breeds,but i'm not sure.
The best advice i can give you is to check the books of Ad Konings,because they are something like "the bible" on Malawi-issues,and you will probely find every known species of Melanochromis in there.
Succes,Willy Bijker,Zwolle,Holland.
Willy,Male,Holland,Dwarfs,West-Africa,Central-Amerika,South-America,Tanganjika,Author of articles,Give lectures to.

lemurtx

Re: Melanochromis species

Post by lemurtx » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:52 am

Willy wrote::D H Yvonne,
First i must say that i am not really an expert on Malawi-issues,but i think the both fishes are maybe cross-breeds,but i'm not sure.
The best advice i can give you is to check the books of Ad Konings,because they are something like "the bible" on Malawi-issues,and you will probely find every known species of Melanochromis in there.
Succes,Willy Bijker,Zwolle,Holland.
Thank you! I'll look for that book!

--Yvonne

Return to “General Cichlids”