Blue Convict???

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

jheckert

Blue Convict???

Post by jheckert » Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:19 am

I had purchased a bluse convict as the store calls it 2 nights ago.
He is approximately 1.25" with all the young convict characteristics.
He has a flat triangular fore head and same fin shape as my other you convicts. His coloring is magnificent. It is very blue with a slight green tint along the back with a slight shade of pink on the belly. He was chased by my larger convict but he would also provoke the chasing the night I put him in. Now the chum around the tank together like best buds. I was worried at first because the large convict would puff his gills and then charge but no injury resulted. The blue convict wqould out smart the large convict by darting through small hole or under the driftwood.

I can't seem to properly identify this little guy and thought you may be able to help. I've had suggestions he may be a red point but to small to show these colors yet. I noticed a Hondura Blue Convict mentioned on your site but not sure he he is one of those. He was reletively cheap at $8.00 which is high for a convict but not high if he was a rare fish.

Could you help me identify him by description, I do not have a pic or a digital camera to take one of him. I can try to get a pic if needed. Not sure what species he is.

Thank You,
John Heckert

jheckeret@ebmail.gdeb.com

I tell you what he/she is one of the most beutifull fish I had ever seen.

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:26 am

John,

It would be a tremendous help to us for you to get a photo of the fish so we could ID it.

Sometimes verbal descriptions can be deceiving :)

jheckert

Post by jheckert » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:38 am

I will try to get a pic w/in the next week. It is a very unique looking fish and I am dying to find out exactly what it is. Thank You.

jheckert

Blue Convict

Post by jheckert » Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:08 am

My new little blue convict that was being chased by the large black convict just had a batch of eggs together. They are buddy buddy with each other and gaurd the eggs vigilantly. I haven't got the pic yet because I do not want to disturb them. Even if I go up to the tank to look at the eggs they both stare at me w/ grimicing looks to keep me away. Do I need to remove the eggs or will they keep them safe? The other fish in the tank don't dare go near because if the large male don't chase em away the little female will. She is only a little over an inch in size to. These are my first eggs I have had to deal with so any advise to get them to hatch and have a succesful batch will be a great help.

Thank You,
John Heckert

Stingray

Post by Stingray » Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:43 am

A picture will help.

coelacanth
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Blue Convict???

Post by coelacanth » Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:56 am

jheckert wrote:It is very blue with a slight green tint along the back with a slight shade of pink on the belly.
I was going to say that the presence of colour on the abdomen possibly indicates that the fish is a female, but I've just spotted your post that they have spawned which kind of confirms it!

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:23 pm

Pete, that I call science!

On the blue convict. Generally those convicts with blue tonalities in the abdomen come from Honduras.
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

The Cichlid Room Companion
http://www.cichlidae.info

Return to “General Cichlids”