how do you care for a sand tank?

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

CichlidOwner

how do you care for a sand tank?

Post by CichlidOwner » Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:59 pm

i want to change my rock tank into a sand tank. how do you maintain a sand tank and clean it?
Dan

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:41 pm

Well, you don't want too thick a layer of sand as that can build up some pretty good nasties under the sand pretty quick. You can supposedly just carefully vacuum over the top of the sand to clean it, but I find you always tend to pick up some of the sand. If some of my fish didn't prefer the sand, I don't think I'd get it again. I find it to be a pain. But that's a personal preference of mine! 8)

CichlidOwner

Post by CichlidOwner » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:52 pm

ok, cool. yeah i have 2 firemouths and some texas red devil mix. and i heard that the firemouths like real plants and sand. i want them to bread so i thought that by doing that, that it might encourage them to breed. the texas red devils are realy small compared to the firemouths so they pose no threat to them.

Willy

Sand tank

Post by Willy » Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:26 pm

:D Hi,
Well,i don't know what you mean exactly by a sand-tank,but i think,its a tank for fishes same like for Lake Tanganjika or Lake Malawi.
When you put sand inside its very natural,and same like any other tank the dirt will come down to the ground.
Just use a hose(about 1 m) to such up the dirt every week! with refreshening minimum 25% of the water.
Like other people said,it is impossible to keep it 100% clean,but the waterchange will surely help!
I myself change every week 50% of mo the water in my 20 fishtanks.
the fish will surely appreciate it!
Lots of succes,Willy Bijker
Willy,Male,Holland,Dwarfs,West-Africa,Central-Amerika,South-America,Tanganjika,Author of articles,Give lectures to.

Return to “General Cichlids”