Denver ACA 2004

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

Lisachromis
Administrator

Denver ACA 2004

Post by Lisachromis » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:22 pm

Ok, I know I'm a bit early to ask but I really would like to know how people liked this years ACA. Unfortunately I couldn't go this year. :(

So, I'd really like it if someone could tell me how they liked/disliked this years convention.

tjudy
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by tjudy » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:01 pm

I just got back from the show today. I had a great time. This year had a very dwarf cichlid theme, so I was very pleased witht espeaker line up. I got to spend a lot of time talking with Anton Lamboj about west africans. He is a great guy. He gave three excellent presentations. Anton is one of the best speakers, and one of the most humorous, I have ever seen. He is truly a 'hobbyist-scientist'. His new book is awesome. The http://www.apistogramma.com web site will have more copies of it available soon. They and the ACA sold out of it this weekend. If you are at all interested in west african cichlids, or are just a collector of fish literature, Lamboj's book is a must have.

I do not know why, but ACA conventions in the west are not as well attended as conventions in the east. The 'it is too far to travel' excuse makes no sense to me... western cichlid keepers travel east most years. Eastern cichlid keepers only need to come west every fifth year or so. Next year the convention is in Dallas/Fort Worth... I hope that everyone can make it!

Pam Chin
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Pam Chin » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:00 pm

Lisa,

I really must say that I think this was probably one of the best ACA's that I have ever attended. Although there may have not been as many people, the crowd that was there was sensational!! I am in big time withdrawl, it was just too much fun!! I am in the recovery mode right now, after 5 days of nothing but cichlids, cichlid friends, and a marathon cichlid party, I can't quit smiling!!

According to the Babes In The Cichlid Hobby and I quote them: "Anton Lambouj catapulted himself into Cichlid-God status!! He is too much fun, and we can't wait to see him again.

I don't have the final totals, but I think it is safe to say we raised over $5000.00 for cichlid research and conservation. To say the least we are quite estactic!!!!!!!! This year we auctioned off the Guy D. Jordan Endowment Fund fish donated from the Florida Fish Farms and from many hobbyists that brought fish also donated a bag or two. We did this live, and it was billed as the Babes In The Cichlid Hobby Oral Auction. It was a big hit, and we will definitely do it again next year.

I could go on and on, but I think I need nap!!!
Cichlid Power!
Pam Chin

I've never met a cichlid I didn't like!
http://s1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh506/PamChin100/

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:58 pm

Wow, wish I could have gone!! But sometimes, you just can't. We're definitely trying to go to the one next year. Sounds as if the Babes are doing the good work again. Hey, does anyone ever tape/record these things? Just wondering if I could see a copy of some of the talks or something.... any pictures?

Ken Boorman
Administrator

Post by Ken Boorman » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:02 pm

We have an excellent DVD of the Aquatic Gardeners Association convention. Might be a good way to raise funds if you could offer something like that? Who should we suggest that to, Pam?

Ken
A.N.G.F.A. North American Co-ordinator

Pam Chin
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Pam Chin » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:33 pm

Lisa,

Erik Olson taped all the talks, you could talk to him.

Ken, you can send me any and all donations, we would be glad to put in our silent auction, where all the money goes to cichlid research and cichlid conservation.
Cichlid Power!
Pam Chin

I've never met a cichlid I didn't like!
http://s1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh506/PamChin100/

Randall
CichlidRoom Expert

ACA Denver 2004

Post by Randall » Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:43 am

Hello Lisa,

Yes, ACA 2004 was a memorable convention if ever there was one. There were many splendid speakers and quality programs. Anton Lamboj and his new book, however, stole the show.

His programs were exciting, informative, very well-presented, extremely well-illustrated and darn funny. Stoic Dr. Lamboj is not! He brought a great sense of excitment and passion to each one of his topics and, at times, had the audience laughing out loud.

It took months of work to get him and his excellent new book to Denver; but, in retrospect, my time could not have been better spent.

We hope to see you and Ken next year in Fort Worth.

All the best,

Randall Kohn
Have you fed your fish a shrimp today?

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:35 pm

Randall,

We are doing our very best to be there in Texas. I'm sorry I missed such a good convention, but family comes first! :) I really should contact Erik and see if he's doing anything with the talks. I know I'd be interested in them as well as many others who couldn't go. They'd be great for aquarium club meetings as well.

newmanl
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by newmanl » Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:37 pm

Hi Guys,

I thought I'd add a little to the obviously biased discussion here! :wink: While I take nothing away from Anton, his book and the effort Randall expended getting both to the convention, some of the other speakers were just as great. I particularly enjoyed Oliver Lucanus's talk on wild Symphysodon (including the underwater video of a pair tending fry!) and Alf Stalsberg's talks on Aequidens (I know...brown fish!) and his collecting experiences in Colombia - both subjects not really covered at an ACA convention before. Unfortunately, I missed Bob Allen's talk - 8AM on Saturday is really too early to get started (and no...I was not in a delicate state that morning), but heard it was very good.

If I was to say "what stole the show", it would have to be all the "big names" that showed up despite the fact they were not giving presentations: Juan Miguel, Paul Loiselle, Wayne Leibel, Jeff Cardwell, Steve Lundblad, Don Danko, Dean Hougen and Rusty Wessel - and I'm sure I've forgotten some as well. It was great just hanging out with those guys.

Anyway, and again not to take anything away from the previous posts on the subject, I thought I'd add my perspective on the convention. Texas sounds like it is going to be fun next year!

Lee

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:43 am

And what about Lee Newman? And others were Pam Chin, Mary Bailey, Ron Coleman, Eric Hanneman, Ray Lucas and I am surely leaving out many others as well. I personally agree with Lee, the underwater video of discus breeding by Oliver Lucanus was astounding, I was in full delightment seeing the discus breeding secret uncovered! I should say I also enjoyed Anton's talks, and of course Alf's talk, who I was very happy to see by the way.

And although we are now taking them for granteed, I want to point out that some of the best talks in my opinion were Ad's. Ad Konings is a great artist, photographer and cichlid expert (as we all know) and even I dont keep Rift Lakes, I can clearly see how his talks are every day getting better and better, not anymore an expert dedicated lecture but truly educational and entertaining lectures that surely bring new hobbysts drawn into his area of major interest. So we need you Lee to hit back for American cichlids in following conventions!
Last edited by Juan Artigas on Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

The Cichlid Room Companion
http://www.cichlidae.info

newmanl
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by newmanl » Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:12 pm

Thanks Juan Miguel, I wish we could have had the time to catch up a little more while in Denver. Hopefully next time!

Lee

Finz

Post by Finz » Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:47 pm

This was the first convention I have been to and I consider myself fortunate to have not had to travel far to attend. Although I spent most of my time in the show room taking pictures, I still had fun seeing all of the people who attended and I did get to meet some of the folks I have become acquainted with on the internet.

Lisachromis, you may view some of the photos I took at my photobucket album

http://photobucket.com/albums/v136/Jame ... CA%202004/

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:37 pm

Thanks for the link to the site with all those photos from ACA. Sure seems like it was a good ACA. Makes me wish I could have attended even more now!

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:21 pm

Well now we have the very nice review by Pam Chin about ACA Denver 2004 in the Cichlid Room Companion, it can be found in:

http://www.cichlidae.com/articles/a216/default.php

Enjoy!
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

The Cichlid Room Companion
http://www.cichlidae.info

Return to “General Cichlids”