Lepidiolamprologus meeli or hecqui

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

James Shingler

Lepidiolamprologus meeli or hecqui

Post by James Shingler » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:02 am

Got these as meeli F1s at BCA auction now not too sure reckon they are hecqui?
and

Thanks for looking.

Jonsea

Post by Jonsea » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:09 am

Definately meeli. Nice looking fish!

James Shingler

Post by James Shingler » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:31 pm

Thank you.
How do you tell the difference between these 2 species?

Jonsea

Post by Jonsea » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:50 pm

It is actually pretty hard to tell the difference. These two fish actually live near each other in the wild. The best way to tell is when they are spawning. L. hecqui has the splotches on their body when spawning like in the picture. L. meeli will usually have a single spot when spawning. However, when both fish get stressed out they both show the splotches all over. So I may be wrong but when they spawn you will know. Pretty sure it is L. meeli.

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:05 pm

I am not so sure if anyone at this point knows what the true meeli and hecqui are supposed to be. Since the early 1980's when a dwarf Lamprologine was imported under the name of L. meeli (at least according to Loiselle) it possessed an irregular blotched pattern similar to the pattern seen in the photo on this thread. The specimens I had retained the zig-zag W-like pattern on the side of the body even during spawning. The hecqui name was added when Konings called the Loiselle meeli L. hecqui. There are several forms that have since been collected around the lake, and I don't think anyone really knows for sure which species is which, and will probably never know until collected specimens can be compared to the preserved holotypes of each species.

Philippe Burnel
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Philippe Burnel » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:30 am

A discussion with Joss Snoeks about “Lamprologus” boulengeri on Cichlid-L (Kullander's web site) teaches me that “L” hecqui is to be forgotten and that thus all the fishes known formerly under L. meeli are meeli and not hecqui as Konings thinks it. There would be L. boulengeri on the East coast, L. meeli on the West coast and a group called boulengeri-meeli in the South. The fish identified by Konings as meeli in one of his books being undoubtedly a pleuromaculatus.

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:11 am

Interesting Philippe. It would be great to see photos from around the lake of all the differing types, that have made their way into the hobby in the past 26 years, lined up with the correct names applied to them.

incidentally, which book and photo in particular are you referring to by Konings where he mislabels a L. pleuromaculatus as L. meeli?

Philippe Burnel
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Philippe Burnel » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:00 am

If I'm right I think it's "natural habitat" 2 page 213 top left picture.
The same picture was in "natural habita 1" (if no mistake).

That's an old story !!!!
We should search in Cihlid L to be sure. around décember 2000 / january2001.
No time to search now

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:09 am

Are you sure that photo is of a L. pleuromaculatus? The picture, taken by Horst Walter Dieckhoff, was photographed at Karilani Island, Tanzania. I was under the impression that L. pleuromaculatus is only found in the extreme northeast part of the lake, within Burundi and possibly as far south as Kigoma? Does anyone know what the original description says in terms of location?

Philippe Burnel
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Philippe Burnel » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:11 am

It was Snoeks who said that.....

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:27 am

Philippe

Let's see if this can somehow be made more clear. Snoek's says that in the south, there is the boulengeri-meeli type(s). However, the fish that Konings calls hecqui (likely the true meeli) in his book were all photographed in the south at Isanga, Zambia.

Are there photos of meeli from the western shoreline of the lake that can be referred to at this point? - and compared to the photos of the Zambian meeli in Konings book?

Then there is what Koning's is calling Meeli Kipili from Kipili, Tanzania, and there is a photo of it in his 2nd edition Tang. Cichlids Nat. Habitat on page 181. It looks like a dwarf version of L. attenuatus overall.

Then there is the fish I saw surface some 12 years ago, and that you have a photo of on your website as L. aff. meeli, which is clearly distinct from meeli, boulengeri, or anything else formally described. Great photo of that species, by the way.

Any additional thoughts?

Philippe Burnel
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Philippe Burnel » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:24 am

Mark Smith wrote: Are there photos of meeli from the western shoreline of the lake that can be referred to at this point? - and compared to the photos of the Zambian meeli in Konings book?
Great question... I don't know !
Then there is the fish I saw surface some 12 years ago, and that you have a photo of on your website as L. aff. meeli, which is clearly distinct from meeli, boulengeri, or anything else formally described. Great photo of that
Where did you see this fish ? I have never known where it comes from !!!!

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:43 am

I really do not know either. I think it originally came out of the west coast back in the early 1990's, and I have not seen it imported since then. In my opinion, it is the prettiest of the meeli complex of species found to date.

When and if more of the shoreline is explored for these types of cichlids, I think we will begin to see additional new species, this L. aff. meeli being a perfect example of that.

James Shingler

Post by James Shingler » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Thanks again for the comments and discussion.
I think I will call um meeli for now.
I do not care how often I see this it always makes me smile.
Esp the bit were the male comes to check out the camera.
Click the link below. Hope you can see the babies. :) ?

http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k35/2 ... A60002.flv

As to telling which they are from colouration? Well I have seen these individuals display all the colour patterns described. I am not sure there is enough difference to separate meeli from hecqui.

Return to “General Cichlids”