S.A Unidentified Cichlid

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

nir_tza

S.A Unidentified Cichlid

Post by nir_tza » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:07 am

not sure what he is..
I am new here but thenk you..
Nir :D

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

Post by PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:53 pm

afraid i'm not the greatest at ids, but my geuss would be Geophagus altifrons, due to the small spot,
Live in the UK?
Interested In Cichlids??
Then join the British Cichlid Association

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:49 am

That small spot does not say very much, as the altifrons loose their spot arond 7 cm / 3 inches.

I can't say anything more than the obvious Geophagus :oops:

nir_tza

Post by nir_tza » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:11 am

how old do you think they are?
they are about 8-9 cm total..

MatsP

Post by MatsP » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:21 am

I expect them to be around 6-12 months old at that size, but it's hard to say with detail (the only way to really know is to know when they hatched), as there are MANY different factors that affect the growth-rate of fish, including the availability and quality of food and the quality of the water.

--
Mats

fischerface

Post by fischerface » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:25 am

common name is "cupid cichlid"...don't know scientific name.
fischerface

MatsP

Post by MatsP » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:42 am

Hmm - I don't think it's "Cupid cichlid", as that's supposed to be Biotodoma cupido, which is quite different, particularly the body shape is much taller and less "flat at the bottom". See: http://www.cichlidae.info/gallery/species.php?s=270

As usual, common names are sometimes misused (as is scientific names too), so it may well be that you've seen a fish with the lable "Cupid cichlid", but the tank contained a fish looking like the above one (which is much more of a tradtional Geophaginae look).

B. cupido was originally described as Geophagus, so they are obviously related.

--
Mats

fischerface

Post by fischerface » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:59 am

very true. what i saw in the store was the fish pictured above, tagged as a cupid. but the link to the cupido is not what was in the store...good to know thanks!
fischerface

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:31 am

MatsP wrote: B. cupido was originally described as Geophagus, so they are obviously related.
You are right, they are related, but the fish was described when they were much less carefull than now. biotodoma referrs to 'living box', omong the fish used for the description was a fish with small fishes in its mouth - thus mouthbreeding? The fishes were its last meal (still unswallowed)

However, both genusses are in the subfamily or tribe (group of genusses) geophaginae. This is a somewhat loose group, Apistogramma does fit in as well.

The biotodoma is in general much more shy than most Geophagus.

Bas

Philippe Burnel
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Philippe Burnel » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:53 am

I don't see any good reason to believe that the fish above is not G. altifrons

MatsP

Post by MatsP » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:35 am

Bas Pels wrote:
MatsP wrote: B. cupido was originally described as Geophagus, so they are obviously related.
You are right, they are related, but the fish was described when they were much less carefull than now. biotodoma referrs to 'living box', omong the fish used for the description was a fish with small fishes in its mouth - thus mouthbreeding? The fishes were its last meal (still unswallowed)
[snip]

Bas
Yes, I should have worded that slightly more carefully - something like "Somone thought they were closely related at some point in the past".

Thanks for the etymology - I find that an interesting subject (although I think Wiedners Eartheaters book does list etymology for the names where it is known, so I could have looked it up).

--
Mats

Return to “General Cichlids”