First cichlids tank

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

dgts

First cichlids tank

Post by dgts » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:37 pm

Im thinking about buying a Juwel Rio 300 =L 121 x W 51 x H 62 cm Tank
And the fish i want to put in it and hopefully they will breed are:
Herichthys centrarchus(Flier cichlid?)
Archocentrus sajica(T-Bar cichlid)
Herotilapia multispinosa(Rainbow cichlid)
My question is do they make compatible tank mates or should i just get a tank for each species?
How much filtration would u recomend?
Any and all comments are welcome

Marco Arroyo

Post by Marco Arroyo » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:51 pm

I just have one doubt abou the Herichthys you mention, cause i havent heard that one, but remember that all the Herichthys are very powerful cichlids and they need plenty of space to swim and breed, so i recomend to put them alone in a tank for themselves, good luck

MatsP

Post by MatsP » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:21 am

"Herichthys centrarchus" = Archocentrus centrarchus, I think (at least it's called Flier Cichlid in Fishbase. Not a very large species, so you could probably get away with a slightly smaller tank, if this is your primary target-species (as per Marco's comments, one species per tank sort of thing).

Looking at a purely "water conditions" standpoint, they like the seme things: fairly warm, hard water, around pH 7-8. So you could keep all three of the species in the same tank - but I haven't kept any of them, so I don't know how well they co-operate in the same tank.

The filter included in the Rio 300 (which is the same as Rio 400) is a pretty good one, but I would supplement it with an external filter, such as Eheim 2026 or 2028 (The latter is what I've got on my Rio 400, along with a small Eheim pump to move water around - I'm not saying you need that!). There's two reasons I suggest this:
1. Having two filters means that if you have a mechanical failure on one filter, you still have good filtration capacity.
2. Even though the built-in filter is much better than many other internal filters, if you have a few large fish in the tank, it will need quite frequent cleaning. If you keep two filters, you still need to clean them, but not quite so often... ;-)

I think this subject should really be moved to Central American Cichlids, as they are all from that region.

--
Mats

Return to “General Cichlids”