how do i tell a male fish from a female? :?:

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

CichlidOwner

how do i tell a male fish from a female? :?:

Post by CichlidOwner » Thu May 06, 2004 10:41 pm

i just baught 2 cichlids, one bumblebee and one blue one, i can't tel weather they will breed or not, they see to chase eachother everso ofter, please help. and if you have any other advise for me, don't hesitate to speak up.

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Fri May 07, 2004 11:20 am

Well, you definitely have two species. They should not be allowed to breed. It sounds to me as if you have cichlids from Lake Malawi. The bumblebee is Pseudotropheus crabro. There are lots of possibilities on the blue one. Do you have a picture of the blue one? Or can you describe it a bit more (stripes/no stripes)? The chasing has to do with the nature of these cichlids. They are very territorial. May I ask what size tank these are in? Are they any other fish in that tank?

CichlidOwner

following info.

Post by CichlidOwner » Sun May 09, 2004 9:57 pm

hey, i have a 10 gallon tank with plenty of hiding places. the blue fish will show dull stripes once in a great while. i have 3 fish all together, one bublbe, a blue one witch i do not know the name of, and one bottom dweller. sorry if i'm not descriptive enough, i'm not verry good at this sort of thing.
oh, ty for replying to my post.

Return to “General Cichlids”