Cichlids began to die

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

marioprata

Cichlids began to die

Post by marioprata » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:44 am

I ask for help in understanding a situation that has occurred to me.I had an aquarium with several cichlids, barbs and botias, on an alkaline pH. Substrate was basalt.I decided to change the substrate. I took away the basalt and the plants.
And I put this substrate:White Reef Sand MBreda
Description: White Reef Sand MBreda © is a white pearl substrate based on limestone and resins.It goes through a special process of selection of the granules, in which the most noble material is separated to be used.In the cleaning preparation an exclusive protection is applied that avoids the turbidity of the water in the assembly; improving the quality, aesthetics and practicality of use.Developed for use in marine aquariums, where you want crystal clear water and ideal for fish, coral and invertebrates.In the assembly it is possible that some granules float due to the oxygen attached to its surface, this fact occurs by the static generated in the manufacture.There may be a small amount of dust on the surface of the water after assembly. To avoid, it can be rinsed before use, however, it is not necessary.Free of nitrates, phosphates and silicates.

I put the afternoon substrate, two new rocks I found and the plants, which were left in a bucket of still water for three days, until the new substrate arrived. Well, the other day, I went to look and saw that several fish died. Botias, all Barbos. Several cichlids were standing or panting near the surface of the water. They were so weak that I managed to take them by hand and put them in another hospital aquarium, where they quickly recovered.
I just left a Livingstone, which seemed to resist change and was healthier not to let me collect.I wanted to know where I was wrong. I took pictures of the aquarium and the new rocks. The Ph was already pretty alkaline before for fish, I think 8.0 with basalt. Even now, the fish do not fit. I put a zebra back after a change of water, and he stands in a corner. What could have happened? :(
IMG_20181130_141207040.jpg
aquarium
2018-11-30 14.12.26.jpg
rocks

bellamor

Re: Cichlids began to die

Post by bellamor » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:26 pm

I am so sorry to hear about your lost, honestly, this hasn't happened to me, but I'm sure that the moderators of this group can provide you an information on why it happened.

Philippe Burnel
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Philippe Burnel » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:18 am

NO2 ???

Mike Wise
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mike Wise » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:39 am

My guess is that the old basalt gravel had most of the nitrifying bacteria, used to biologically filter the water of nitrogenous waste. Once you removed and replaced it you had very minimal removal of these chemicals in the tank.

Return to “General Cichlids”