Actually trying a Cichlid Community Tank????

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

kelly_jantzen

Actually trying a Cichlid Community Tank????

Post by kelly_jantzen » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:10 pm

Hello,

I for the first time and helping my family start a community tank with the majority of the fish being mix/OB/colorful peacock Cichlid males. Even with a large pile of Texas holy rock piled to the top of the tank approximately 3 ft x 1.5 ft in the center there was a little aggression starting. We have 10 peacock males. So I added 8 Bala sharks and 5 Redtail Botia loaches. I added territory rocks with a hole for each loache. No its not over crowed, yes we know the size the fish will grow, yes we have found a similarity between diets, and we are keeping the temperature at 76 F. However, this is a very awkward tank. Don't get me wrong, the loaches at the bottom add a nice touch, the peacocks in and out of the Texas holy rock structure is nice, and the Bala sharks all sticking together makes the tank very stimulating to watch. There is a lot of activity in the tank. Has anyone else tried this combo before, I only have species specific tanks? Will it last or will I most likely end up separating everything?

Return to “General Cichlids”