where are my cichlids from?

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

jynksiekat

where are my cichlids from?

Post by jynksiekat » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:17 pm

I have a cichlid tank. I am pretty experienced with fishtanks but have never really gotten into the cichlid aspect of the fishworld till a few months ago. I absolutely have fallen in love with them but feel a little silly not knowing where exactly they are from...here's what I have

3- non dyed blood parrots. (yes i know they are hybrids)
4- non dyed jellybean aka bubblegum cichlids
1- firemouth
1- jack dempsey
1- green terror
and i know they're not cichlids...red finned tinfoil barbs i thankyou all much for the information you may supply. and am glad to meet you all as i just have joined your site. oh...the fish are all under 4 inches and i have several other tanks i plan to free up for them once they become "crowded" they are currently in a 120gallon cold freshwater tank...temp 70+ degrees. i know they like temps about 80 degrees but i have not gotten a heater yet...

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:11 pm

The easiest way to find out information on your fish is go to the main page of this web site and do a search on each one using those names in the search, you'll get plenty of information. Dan

jynksiekat

Post by jynksiekat » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:15 pm

i love the cichlidiots unite!!! phrase!!! and thankyou for the information!!!

MatsP

Post by MatsP » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:47 am

The "parrot cichlid" doesn't have a natural origin - it's captive bred crossing a male of one species with a female of a different species creating a hybrid.

I think the bubble-gum cichlid is another form of captive bred cichlid - not sure where they come from, but they are certainly not natural. [time passes] A google search shows that they are the same hybrid as the above with additional dying to colour them. So the origin is "the same". I found that here.

Firemouth cichlid is Thorichthys meeki. Distribution: Central America: Atlantic slope, in the Usumacinta River drainage, the Belize River drainage, and near Progreso, in Mexico, Guatemala and Belize.
Type Location[1] is "Near Progreso, Yucutan, Mexico."

Jack Dempsey is Cichlasoma octofasciatum, and is also a native of Central America (and into North America). Distribution: North and Central America: Atlantic slope from southern Mexico (Papaloapán River) to Honduras (Ulua River). Type locality: Mexico. [Not very precise that one, is it? ;-)]

Green Terror: Aequidens rivulatus. Distribution: South America: Pacific slope from the Esmeraldas River in Ecuador to the Tumbes River in Peru. Type locality: Andes of w. Ecuador.

Tinfoil Barb: Barbonymus schwanenfeldii. Distribution: Asia: Mekong and Chao Phraya basins, Malay Peninsula, Sumatra and Borneo. Type locality: Lake Singkara, w. Sumatra; Moara kompeh, Palembang, e. Sumatra; Pangabuang, Lampong, se. Sumatra, Indonesia.

[1] Type location is the place where the particular fish used to scientificaly describe the species was found. This isn't necessarily the "typical place to find one", but it does give some idea of where it could be found. [As a side note: The type location is REALLY WHERE THE FISH WAS FOUND - and not at all necessarily where it normally lives - for example, Hong Kong Fish market is not a native location for any fish, but I've seen type locations like that].

Data comes from Fishbase.org.

--
Mats

jynksiekat

Post by jynksiekat » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:03 pm

thankyou!!!!! i love to learn new things and greatly appreciate the time you spent to find that information. i was at a loss trying to find it on this site

Return to “General Cichlids”