ID Me Please

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

ut guy

ID Me Please

Post by ut guy » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:07 pm

Hello,

Well i am new to this whole fish thing and recently purchased a 10 gallon tank and accessories off of craigslist. To my surprise the lady threw in her fish. However she was not able to give me any clue to what kind of fish it was. After doing a little research i think it might be a Cichlid, but i am unsure. And i have no idea what kind of Cichlid it is, so i was hoping you guys can help.

Here is an image

Also any care adivce would be great. The tank did not come with a heater, just a pump and filter, but since i think it is a tropical fish i think i need one (right?). Any other tips would be great.

Thanks

ut guy

Post by ut guy » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:16 pm

Oh, sorry for the double post, but i also wanted to know of there are any cheap(im a college student on a tight budget) tank mates that i could add. Something small since i would not want to overcrowd the tank. The fish in the picture above is about 2 inchs btw.

Thanks

MatsP

Post by MatsP » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:25 am

The above fish is a Parrot Cichlid - a man-made hybrid of two geographically separated species of fish - they are available in all sorts of colours (including ones that have been "painted" (dyed) to have stripes or patterns on them - obviously only carried by the less ethical of fish-shops).

They are not overly aggressive, so you can keep it with mos things that are sufficently large to not be a "snack" and that aren't in themselves too agressive.

--
Mats

Tom Williams

Post by Tom Williams » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:00 am

May be wrong but it looks like a white / xanthistic convict to me. If so could be aggressive and you need to be careful. The headshape is wrong for a parrot "cichlid". 10 gallon is a little small for a pair of these fish as they can reach 5 or so inches. Good tank mates would be a couple of swordtails or maybe 6 tiger barbs or 6 astynyax mexicanus/fasciatus.

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:51 am

Some people here in American refer to this fish as the "Balloon Convict". It is a deformed leucistic convict.

ut guy

Post by ut guy » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:33 am

Alright,

I went to the pet store and found some tiger barb. The problem is they are relativly small(half an inch or so) in comparison with the convict (2 inch). I am somewhat worried the convict would eat them right up.

MatsP

Post by MatsP » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:58 am

Thanks for the correction - never seen a Xanthic "balloon" version of Convict before.

I'm pretty sure you can find some bigger Tiger barbs - most shops sell them at 3/4-1" length (and may have bigger ones available at bigger price-tags). On the other hand, with a 10gal tank, you'd be pretty close to the limit with 5 1" Tiger barbs, and they do grow bigger than that - around 2-2.5" if they are well kept... I'd go for perhaps a pair of swordtails - obviously, the likelyhood of the babies surviving with the convict in there is zero - but you could get two males for example.

--
Mats

Tom Williams

Post by Tom Williams » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:17 am

Luckily I don't think they've made it here yet (the uk that is). I'd agree with the Swordtails idea.

Return to “General Cichlids”