Sharing my 125 gallon wild combinations and setup.

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

Usmarksman91

Sharing my 125 gallon wild combinations and setup.

Post by Usmarksman91 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:32 am

Hey all! Just joined as you can see, this is the general cichlid sub forum so I thought this would be a good place to share my tank and it's inhabitants. I am a carpenter, but as a side business I install and maintain reef tanks and build massive filtration systems custom. I've been a cichlid guy since I was a kid. I am going to share my stock list because I think it will bend some people's minds because anything really is possible. First, I have a 125 gallon standard tank 72" long. My filtration is currently a rena xp4 and eheim 2217. The canisters are temporary I am having the tank drilled and doing a wicked 1500 gph bead filtration system, although they do get the job done pretty well and I have a great combination of media in them. Now one thing that is major in having wild combinations with any type of aggressive fish which a lot of you know is decorations in the tank. I am an all natural type of guy, I have approximately 225 pounds of natural south seas rock in there, caves, the obvious wall, and lots of areas that break line of sight. One problem with using porous rock like that in a regular tank is they trap a hell of a lot of detritus, but I keep it all clean and as long as anyone else does you won't see any issues, only benefits. I will post again tomorrow I am running out of time but a quick list of my fish would be, a red fin botia, red tail shark, tiger oscar, convict, a green spotted puffer fish, 2 jewels, a boulengochromis ("tanganykian giant") I may have wrote that completely wrong correct me if anyone know what fish I'm talking about, a male auratus, female auratus, 4 julidochromis dickfeldi, one tropheus (black with yellow stripe, the second part to name is slipping away from me) one jack Dempsey, a yellow lab, and then after that just a bunch of standard assorted Africans. My tank has less aggression than most all cichlid tanks, it's had this set up for close to a year, I rarely ever have even slight issues. Feed them pellets twice a day, assorted frozen foods twice a week, and everyone is happy as can be. I use a mixture of african cichlid substrate and crushed coral about 1.5 inches thick as a substrate. I will post pictures tomorrow, and I'm excited to learn and be a member of this forum.

zenins

Re: Sharing my 125 gallon wild combinations and setup.

Post by zenins » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:33 pm

Where are you located ?

Put it in your profile, it might get you some more activity for your side business ;)

Usmarksman91

Post by Usmarksman91 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:31 pm

And 2 yoyo loaches, still need to post pics I only have an iPhone right now no computer so it's a little tough for me

Usmarksman91

Post by Usmarksman91 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:23 pm

Surprised at the lack of responses

Usmarksman91

Post by Usmarksman91 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:46 pm

Forgot I also have two monos with everyone, community cichlid tank the only forms of aggression I ever see is the larger convict attacking the smaller one and the large convict and the Oscar have face offs but never fight and never attack each other.

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:32 pm

I suspect the lack of responses has to do with the lack of experience with the combination of fish you have more than anything.

Have you worked out a way to post some pictures of this tank?

Austinscichlids

Post by Austinscichlids » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:15 am

That was the point he is saying it's a peaceful tank with the eye catching (wrong) fish he has together myself I am thing about trying a weird combo aswell watched of course don't want any of my fish too get injured or die but I think it sounds like an awesome tank if u make it work would like too see the pics aswell ! Let me know if u figure it out on the iPhone cause I am new too this forum aswell and am on my iPhone

Bliss30

Post by Bliss30 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:11 am

Hope to see pics.

Regards,
Mister Bliss
Mister Bliss

Return to “General Cichlids”