Undergravel filter?

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

pharah

Undergravel filter?

Post by pharah » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:42 pm

:) I am setting up a 135 gal acrylic tank, with built in bio-filtration. Should I also use undergravel filtration?
I currently have a 90 gal tank, with hang on filtration. I have had success with this set-up, but there is often a a lot of debris on the gravel. Will an undergravel filter help with this.
Any tips/suggestions, greatly appreciated,
Thanks!

Ken Boorman
Administrator

Post by Ken Boorman » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:53 pm

Hi Pharah,

Personally, I don't think undergravel filters are suitable for a cichlid tank. The fish will be moving the gravel to a greater or lesser extent and the filter plates could become uncovered, thus negating the efficiency of them. The makers of undergravel filters also recommend you clean under the plates fairly frequently (every 6-12 months) and this is very hard to do unless you tear down the whole tank.
Also, it is very easy to pick up any detritus or mulm when you do your water changes. Just siphon out the crap with the water :)
I would just stick to the built-in unit and do weekly (or as required) water changes.
A.N.G.F.A. North American Co-ordinator

Return to “General Cichlids”