mystery fishes

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

jpmroane

mystery fishes

Post by jpmroane » Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:17 pm

I bought these fish about a month ago in a lfs. They were being sold as Cryptoheros sajica but I knew that it was not correct because I own some of them. Still, I bought two hopeing male and female. I don't know what they are. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Philippe Burnel
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Philippe Burnel » Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:00 am

the 2d pic looks like a young Amphilophus labiatus ??????

jpmroane

Post by jpmroane » Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:08 am

or citrinellus. I saw apicture of the cichlid scene's "Big Head" ,a barred midas, when it was small and it is almost identicle to mine. There is still the question of the other one. I have noticed that when she is around my male sajica she gets verticle bars almost exactly like a convict. The bars near the head slant back in the same fashon. She only shows them wen she is eating or close to the male sajica. The lateral bar extending from the caudle fin to the mid-section of the body never fades. She is dotted with tourquoise spangles. Any Ideas?

The Mule

Post by The Mule » Fri May 07, 2004 10:39 am

These posts are from a few months ago, so perhaps you have new pictures now?

I agree that the 2nd one looks like either a citrinellus or labiatus (or a mix of the two, which would make it your typical pet store red devil). I would guess that the first one is a Vieja sp. based on that black lateral bar.

Return to “General Cichlids”