baby kribs! now what?!?!

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

waterlynch

baby kribs! now what?!?!

Post by waterlynch » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:57 pm

Hi everyone. I have a breeding pair of kribs who just hatched a brood 9 days ago in my 20 gallon planted community tank (angelfish, swordtails, congo tetras). I moved the new family to a ten gallon planted tank with nothing but otos (3) in it, which I was told wouldn't bother the fry. Both tanks have eco-complete for substrate. I was wondering how long I should keep the parents with the fry in order to make sure they have the best chance at survival? I've heard the female may start eating them so she can breed again... Also, I'm feeding the fry thawed cubes of baby brine shrimp every two days, and feeding the parents flakes and the occasional shrimp parents about once a day. Is that about right? Oh and one more question...is a penguin 150 biowheel filter too big for my ten gallon with the fry? It's for up to 30 gallons, and is on my 20 right now, but I'm getting an eheim ecco for that and wanted to put a more efficient filter on my ten gallon. The 10 has currently got a penguin 100 biowheel, but since I have about 20-40 fry that will be growing in there, I figure I need a higher filtration rate. Any advice is welcome, this is not only my first experience with breeding kribs, it is my first time owning cichlids at all.... :)

tjudy
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by tjudy » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:05 am

I usually leave the fry in the hatching tank with the parents for two weeks, then move the brood to a bare ten gallon tank. If there are a very small number, or if I have to move them early, I will move them to an incubator (a plastic dish or net breeder) in the ten for a while. I feed bbs several times a day and do daily water changes of 25%-50% depending upon how dirty the tank smells... yes smells. Heavy feeding will cause an offensive odor before the water gets cloudy.

waterlynch

Survivors!

Post by waterlynch » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:24 pm

Hi there, just wanted to say thanks for the advice. I have the parents in with the fry now, so I guess I'll move them out in about a week. I just found three fry in a filter I switched outalmost five days ago...alive! The filter had a little water in the bottom and when I went to clean it today i found about six dead and three live fry! I put the live ones back with the brood, although they are a little smaller then the others are now. At least they get a chance now! My new filter doesn't seem to eating my fry, so that shouldn't happen again. Anyway, thanks for the advice. I have one more quick question...my nursery tank is set up as a planted tank with some logs and eco-complete as a substrate. Is that bad? i notice that you and many others mention bare-bottomed tanks for the fry. In the future, should I use a bare-bottomed tank, and why? Thanks again for the help
Tanks,
waterlynch

grottosandfins

Post by grottosandfins » Wed May 17, 2006 4:02 pm

Please post results as my kribs are going to breed any sec now.
Bart Purcell
Grottos and Fins
Aquarium Rock Caves
http://www.grottosandfins.com
grottosandfins@aol.com
NOW ON eBAY!

Return to “General Cichlids”