silly question

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

herefishy

silly question

Post by herefishy » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:56 am

:oops: hi i'm new to cichlids and was wondering i currently have 2 , 4ft tanks set up plus a small hospital/baby tank. in the first 4 ft there is 2 albino convicts, 2 convicts, 2 red jewels,a blue cray and a very lonely clown loach. in the other i have 2 johanni's and 2 tangerine zebra's plus 4 babie red claw crayfish. is this balance ok???? if not could i have some direction please i would also like to add more. my big delema is my albino's have just laid eggs and i'm not sure if i can mix the tanks around to make sure nothing gets torn apart help please.

MatsP

Post by MatsP » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:31 am

I would start by saying that crayfish are not good companions with ANY fish - they are sooner or later going to "grab" the fish and kill it.

Unforutnately, I'm not familiar enough with the other fishes in your tanks to say much - I know convicts are pretty good parents, so they'll most likely be OK where they are at the moment, but eventually the babies will be sufficiently "rowdy" that the parent's will not be able to look after them, and the babies will stray into the territory of one of the other convicts or jewels, and eventually end up being "food".

One solution would be to get another tank to keep the convict babies in...

Of course, mixing albino and regulars of the same specie in the same tank is likely to cause cross-breeding, but that's a different story, where the babies are carrying the albino gene but are natural coloured. Someone would potentially buy these for breeding purposes and get surprising results - of course, it's good practice to buy different stock male and females to get a pair to breed from, but it's still not nice to cross albinos back into the regulars...

I hope this is of help.

--
Mats

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:10 pm

the crayfish are temps they are about 4cm and wont be in there long. but thanks for the insight

MDOU

Post by MDOU » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:34 am

hmmmm, i assume that you got those crays from rossvale....... we normally dont sell them to people that are going to keep them with fish.

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:31 am

i sure did one of the guys there told me " they can be kept with fish that hold their own."

MDOU

Post by MDOU » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:59 am

wasn't me then.....

that is true you can keep them with fish theat hold their own. and top dwellers. and fish big enough to eat them :twisted:

MatsP

Post by MatsP » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:42 am

Key points here are "Hold their own" and "Big claws + armour". If you have to hold your own against a Crab, Crayfish or Lobster, you have to be seriously bigger - just being a "viscious" fish doesn't count for much. These guys are pretty good at sitting very still and waiting for the fish to get close enough and then "snap". Even if it can't hold the fish, it may well hurt it badly.

Cichlids can hold their own against other fish, because the fish are vulnerable to the things that the cichlid can use to bully them with: ramming and biting. Neither work really well on shell-fish of the type we're discussing here...

Top dwellers work as long as they don't do the tetra thing and sleep at the bottom of the tank... ;-)

--
Mats

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:35 pm

no it wasn't u it was don and when i spoke to him about it the other day he said the same thing again but like i said they are only temps i'm not really into creapy crawlys
ALSO MY ALBINO CICLIDS EGGS HATCHED AND THEY ARE FREE SWIMMING YAY!!!!!

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:05 am

My fully grown crayfish was eaten by 4 inch jewls, it is a crayfish who need "TO HOLD THEY OWN" against most of the cichlids... :wink:
Also I would suggest to get several more clown loaches, they feel much better in the company of they own and can easy co-exist with convicts or similar to them cichlids, great and usefull addition (scavangers) to cichlid fish tank.

Return to “General Cichlids”