cichlids for a planted aquarium

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

Maurici

cichlids for a planted aquarium

Post by Maurici » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:31 am

Hi,
Well, I recently adreesed one post related with my problems to choose a companion for a salvini. Now, the evidence of the comments has convinced me to take out this fish of my community tank.
Well, my problem now is that I can found good information to choose species of medium to large american cichlids to put in a well planted aquarium with other very different fishes.
Of course the digging and eating plants as food habits are the ways I don't want.
Because my knowledge is quite scarce on diversity I ask you for a list of easy to find (comercially) fishes which can be adequated.
I think in Aequidens maronii as a possibility, but I would like other to choose.
Thank you.

Maurici

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:04 pm

The other thing to be considered is the way you plant your tank as well. A lot of people get around the digging up of plants by potting them in large pots. The cichlids can't dig them up that way.

Maurici

Post by Maurici » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:24 am

Sure, but in my case the object is other than to maintain cichlids per se, I like the most natural possible conditions (I know this is an utopia) with a well balanced substrate involved in a close relationship with fauna and flora of the tank.
Really I don't like the pots and I have my 145 gallons tank with plants on a variety of levels, from the surface to the bottom, covering most of it, with epiphytes on wood and rocks, bulbs, herbs ...

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:09 am

'Cichlasoma' salvini (I hate to say it as I am a promoter of Central American Cichlids) I feel it is a bad choice for your tank in the company of your other smaller fish. Why not a group of Angelfish? Pterophyllum ssp., or other similar cichlids like Mesonauta ssp. ? I think these fish would do fine and not bother your other smaller guests (or plants). Cleithracara maronii, Laetacara and Krobia ssp. could also be possibilities, as well as Mazarunia or even Mikrogeophagus altispinossa (which is larger than M. ramirezi). All these fish require soft acid water but I believe would do well in a planted aquarium of your characteristics. I would not keep a very large group of any of these speoies or chose more than two or three of them to house together, for such a sized tank.

Good luck
Last edited by Juan Artigas on Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

The Cichlid Room Companion
http://www.cichlidae.info

MatsP

Post by MatsP » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:03 am

Juan makes good suggestions, and I agree with them.
One other suggestion, which I think could work in your tank, would be a Satanoperca or Geophagus specie, like those generally sold as "Satanoperca jurupari". Whilst they dig in the substrate, they aren't generally digging like the Cichlasoma [as an example] and other similar species where they unearth the entire bottom of the tank in a large section, they rather grab a mouthfull of substrate and spit it out again.

They also leave plants alone, as in they don't chew on plants (at least as long as they are well fed).

In a tank of your size, I'd say you could quite easily keep a group of some 6 or so individuals. They do grow quite big, around 6-8" or so.

They are reasonably friendly towards smaller fish - at least as long as you don't try to keep fry in the tank.

I keep mine (for [rather poor] pictures see http://www.cichlidae.info/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1043) with several different types of plecos [including Bristlenoses but not "real" Ancistrus dolichopterus - a fish that is qutie exotic in the trade], Brochis splendens, Corydoras sterbai, Bosemans rainbow (like you have) and Rosy barbs. My tank isn't heavily planted, but aside from one particular Anubia that I stubbornly place back where the fish obviously don't want it, I have no problems with plants being uprooted or eaten [well, the Rosy barbs do eat plants quite well, but that's not the fish I'm suggesting to you].

I think you may also get away with Discus of some sort - but they are a bit of a speciality, so unless you're into them, it may not be a good idea.

--
Mats

Maurici

Post by Maurici » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:35 am

Thank you at both, your suggestions and proposals are enlighten and they are going to be very useful to me.

Maurici

Return to “General Cichlids”