What kind of fish?

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

JohnCro

What kind of fish?

Post by JohnCro » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:35 pm

I was on the cichlid press website http://www.cichlidpress.com looking for books on Tangs. I selected "Details" for the book "Enjoying Cichlids. Second Edition."

When you select the details button a window pops up and details on the book appear. In the upper right hand corner a small image of the pages in the book rolls by. You will only see the fish for a second, to get a better look at it you have to back out and go back in to restart the page cycle.

The first frame shows a fish I have never seen before. It is shaped like a N. Lelupei but it is jet black with a red band starting under the dorsal fin and seeming to wrap under the bellie. The dorsal fin is black with a faint white band running along the tip. The tail also has a faint white tip.

Does anyone know what it is and where I can buy them?

Clayn

Post by Clayn » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:50 pm

I have never seen that fish before either. That is a very attractive fish! Maybe someone else here knows.
Lake Tanganyika.....So many fish....So little time

JohnCro

Post by JohnCro » Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:12 pm

It looks like the love child of Tropheus "Pembamoorii" and a leleupi. It really is a striking fish. I hope to hear it is a Tang and that I will not need to take out a loan to get a half dozen of them.

Ken Boorman
Administrator

Post by Ken Boorman » Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:40 pm

Hi,
That fish you are talking about is actually a Pike Cichlid - Crenicichla sp. xingu 3, I think. They are a very nice cichlid - if you can find them. They get to about 12"-14" from memory.
A.N.G.F.A. North American Co-ordinator

Philippe Burnel
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Philippe Burnel » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:40 am

I agree with Rhad : Crenicichla sp. Xingu

Return to “General Cichlids”