Suggested improvements to the forum

Recommendations for the Cichlid Room Companion home page or error reporting
Juan Artigas
Administrator

Re: Suggested improvements to the forum

Post by Juan Artigas » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:34 pm

Thanks for your suggestions Hudson, as all suggestions, they are taken into consideration to improve this site.
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

The Cichlid Room Companion
http://www.cichlidae.info

Hudson Ensz

Post by Hudson Ensz » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:40 pm

Very sorry if they are not practical :oops: :
Please visit my cichlid blog at passionate4pikes.wordpress.com
Tanks, 16gal, 8gal, 35gal, 200gal pond, T. candidi hospital tank 1 gal.
A. sp. abacaxi, A. agassizii, A. gibbiceps (2 strains), A. pertensis(?), A. pacisquamis, A. sp, A. hippolytae.

SergeS

Post by SergeS » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:14 am

How about upgrading to a more recent version of PHP/BB? The place is swarming with spambots it seems, and that keeps legitimate posters and readers away. On the BB where I am a moderator myself, we use v 3.05 and have no problems whatsoever.

I also noticed that I have access to the moderator control panel - I think it's read only for me, but still. Maybe this was done intentionally?

Ken Boorman
Administrator

Post by Ken Boorman » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:36 am

I was sure Juan got the latest versions of PHP/BB available. I am sorry you are experiencing a forum "swarming with spambots". There are 5 of us trying to stay on top the the spammers and I thought we were doing a good job. Please report any posts you think are spam and as soon as the next moderator/administrator comes to the forum, we will deal with them immediately.
I tested your permissions and couldn't see how you could have access to the Moderator Control Panel. Can you still access it?

Ken
A.N.G.F.A. North American Co-ordinator

Alex Calder

Post by Alex Calder » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:46 pm

Spam bots are just part fo the net. Owners, administrators and moderators do the best they can.
The ones I hate are the people who are now paid to register accounts that are later handed over to
a bot... The only solutions I see for that are a bit too drastic to implement.

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:34 pm

[quote="SergeS"]How about upgrading to a more recent version of PHP/BB? The place is swarming with spambots it seems, and that keeps legitimate posters and readers away. On the BB where I am a moderator myself, we use v 3.05 and have no problems whatsoever.

We have 3.07 installed...
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

SergeS

Post by SergeS » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:24 am

Ken Boorman wrote:I was sure Juan got the latest versions of PHP/BB available. I am sorry you are experiencing a forum "swarming with spambots". There are 5 of us trying to stay on top the the spammers and I thought we were doing a good job. Please report any posts you think are spam and as soon as the next moderator/administrator comes to the forum, we will deal with them immediately.
I know it's part of the forums on the net, but I was surprised to see several spambots, where we have no issues at all, and our forum is a lot busier. I realize it's a tough job, and not always possible to completely avoid spambots. Meant no harm :)

I tested your permissions and couldn't see how you could have access to the Moderator Control Panel. Can you still access it?

Ken
Yes, I see a link to it in the top left section, just below the line with the link to my personal inbox:

When I click I access the control panel (moderator log, moderator queue, etc.). Do you want me to see if I can ban someone ? :lol: :lol:

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:50 am

Sergey,

I really want to thank you for pointing this out, particularly for being stubborn in pointing my mistakes. In fact, I had made an error when assigned permission for new users. It is hopefully now corrected and all should be back to normal, hopefully also with less SPAM bots attacking us, something I am sure our moderators will be happy with.

Thanks again, and please, if you see any other error, don't hesitate to let me know about it.
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

SergeS

Post by SergeS » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:44 pm

Will do. I like this forum - and your website - a lot, it's a great and reliable resource for 'anything cichlid'. It's easy to find information on the net, but it's a lot trickier to find good quality information. This is one of the few sites I visit if I really want to know for sure :) Keep up the good work!

SergeS

Post by SergeS » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:14 am

Hey, it's me again :) This time with a suggestion: I see - in the Malawi sub-forum - quite a few people that are looking where to buy a certain species of fish. Whilst I do not want to chase them away, I don't think that is the right place for that? Maybe it''s better to create a sub-forum for 'for sale' and 'looking for'-type questions? I think that one of the reasons why these questions are there, is that there is no room for them elsewhere. Or maybe you should not allow it altogether, which would suit this forum perfectly, but that's up to you :)

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:20 am

Sergey,

Thanks for your message. It is in fact not allowed to post messages with commercial intention on any way. We don't pay to keep this forum up and work so hard so others can make money out of us. If you see such a post, please do not hesitate to let us know, me of any administrator. The post and the poster will be gone from the forum at once.

I really appreciate it
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:43 am

Thanks Sergey I did some cleaning. I will come back later today to do some deeper cleaning yet. We are really with low tolerance and time to real with this kind of stuff breaking the rules they accepted when signing in. So I let out the courtesy of warning out and go straight to delete post, user and ban the IP subnet. I don't want this forum ruined by commercial activity. Thank you!
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

SergeS

Post by SergeS » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:56 am

Thanks Juan, never realized that you had such a strict policy here re. commercial activity, but it makes perfect sense to me :)

Alton

Post by Alton » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:58 am

I am courious why my posts take 2 days to be accepted? I never had this happen on a forum before and courious why it is this way? I am a member on a few websites and heard about this one on one of them. So I joined to learn more and be able to talk with some of the great minds in Chiclids. This is just my opinion but seems to me if someone new comes to your site and they can not communicate with others for quick answers they will move to another site. I understand the issue with Bots, they can be horrible and cause problems. But people also like to chat and waiting 2 days seems a bit much.
Aulonocara Ethelwynnae Chitande
Aulonocara Sp. Chitande Type Masinje
Aulonocara Sp. Chitande Type North (Nkhata Bay)
Aulonocara Stuartgranti Red Shoulder
Aulonocara Stuartgranti Ruby Red

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:24 am

Thank you "Alton" for your feedback. This is what we can do with our resources. I am glad there are some other forums out there where you don't have to pass through this inconvenience. I have removed you from the moderation group so you can go ahead and post freely. Enjoy!
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

Alton

Post by Alton » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:32 am

Thanks Juan, I greatly apperciate you doing this for me. Looking forward to learning from all the knowledgable people on here. Hope you have a great day and I know how much you do so I wish to thank you for all your hard work.

THANKS JUAN!!
Aulonocara Ethelwynnae Chitande
Aulonocara Sp. Chitande Type Masinje
Aulonocara Sp. Chitande Type North (Nkhata Bay)
Aulonocara Stuartgranti Red Shoulder
Aulonocara Stuartgranti Ruby Red

smitty

Post by smitty » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:17 pm

It is about time this forum which I consider to be awesome get with the times when it comes to posting pictures. On many of the other forums you can chose photos right from your computer. Also they need to increase the size. I know that I am computer illiterate which is causing me and many others even more frustration. I wanted to create a thread regarding some fish but can not upload the photos.
150gal- Dovi's; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260
180gal- Managuense; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260; FX5
210gal- Argta,Bifsct,Fnstrtus,Maculcda,Regani,Syns,Zntus; 4 AC P.Filters; 2 AC P.Hds; Eheim 2250,2262; FX5

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:24 pm

smitty,

You can choose pictures from your computer to upload to your posts. Also, although they show as 800 pixels, they can be larger once you click on them. Look for attachments at the bottom of the form when you are editing a post.

Thanks for your post
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

smitty

Post by smitty » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:03 pm

Thanks for the quick response. I am going to give it a try.
210gal- Argta,Bifsct,Fnstrtus,Maculcda,Regani,Syns,Zntus; 4 AC P.Filters; 2 AC P.Hds; Eheim 2250,2262; FX5

smitty

Post by smitty » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:11 pm

It still is not working. Reason given is that file is too big. It say that site allows maximum 256Kib. My photos are 1.83MB to 1.92MB. How that translate to number of Kib is beyond me.

Return to “Suggestions”