Pheromones in spawning Haplochromines

Discussions on cichlid behaviour in nature & captivity.

Moderator: Troy

Darrell Ullisch

Pheromones in spawning Haplochromines

Post by Darrell Ullisch » Sat May 02, 2009 1:03 pm

Okay, I'm sure I've read somewhere that the pheromones are, or may be, released by mouthbrooding Cichlids during spawning. It may have been part of a discussion about the reason for egg spots, or the breeding methods of cuckoo spawning Synodontis. The problem is, I can't remember exactly when or where I read it, and I fear it may be from as far back as the 1970s. Material that old is not going to be found online. I know there are a few people here who are at least as old as I am; I'm hoping some of them have bettter memories than I do! :lol:

I sort of need the reference to explain a theory concerning aquarium hybrids. I have opened mouth, now I'm looking for the data to keep my foot out of it.

TIA for any help!
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb

Darrell Ullisch

Re: Pheromones in spawning Haplochromines

Post by Darrell Ullisch » Thu May 14, 2009 9:13 am

Well, to be honest, I at least expected some remarks on the idea, either supportive or derogatory. I guess I need to look elsewhere.
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb

Lisachromis
Administrator

Re: Pheromones in spawning Haplochromines

Post by Lisachromis » Thu May 14, 2009 3:17 pm

It just may be that no one knows or remembers the material you're remembering. I know it was before my time *cough*. 8)

Return to “Cichlid Behaviour”