convict question

Discussions on cichlid behaviour in nature & captivity.

Moderator: Troy

justlooking2

convict question

Post by justlooking2 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:46 pm

Looking for some help here...We've had 1 convict, the darker one for over a year, and bought the white convict about 2 months ago. They never got along so we separated them with a divider. Taking it out every so often. Recently we overhauled the tank and created new caves and decided to introduce them together again. THe dark one constantly chases the white one. Last night we took the white one and put it in a breeder tank because it was being beat up on and were thinking about taking it back to the store. Today we threw him back in the tank and right away the 2 of them started doing the mouth lip lock fight thing, then swirling around each other. That went on for just over an hour, then the white one took off, and soon after the dark one started chasing it around the tank again on and off. As of right now, the white one is spending most of its time at the top of the tank in the corner. THe white one does have a pink color on the belly, does that mean its a female? At any rate, we took a video.

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n300 ... _toAVI.flv

Do you think its just fighting, or are they spawning? I have no idea. Any info would help, thanks.[/url]

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:12 pm

It looks like you have two males. Females have a bright pink or orange spot on their belly. Dan

justlooking2

pictures

Post by justlooking2 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:08 pm

Heres a picture of them separated. So they are 2 males?

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:22 pm

Yes, here are some females..... witha red belly. You should be able to get one at the store and tell the deffirence easily once you see the diffrence here.

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/convict.htm

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/encyclopedia-298.html

Have fun,

Dan

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:42 pm

Females have gold/orange coloured scales on their bellies like this:

(Above image from http://www.fishbase.com/)

justlooking2

Post by justlooking2 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:06 pm

its pretty amazing, that between 2 different forums Im being told 2 different things. On here, both are males, on cichlid-forum.com Im being told, they both look female. No wonder its all confusing. I have infact figured out though that basically the tank is too small for 2 convicts (15 gallon). thanks for your guys' help

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:29 pm

We determined they are males by looking at their body size and shape as well as fin extensions. Males are taller larger while females are shorter and smaller. The belly scales can also be used as mentioned before. Dan

justlooking2

Post by justlooking2 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:01 pm

Well I built a stand to hold 2 tanks. Bought a 29g for the top and put a new 20g on the bottom. So now I have my 15g as a spare. Eventually the 2 cons pictured above got along pretty good. I bought another con and seperated the black con out into the 20g. Still more to do to get them looking better.
Here's the new tanks and stand.

And here is a pic of the pair. The new one is in the front, and my original in the back. Pretty sure the new one is a male, time will tell for sure ;)

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:25 pm

Yep, it's a male! Good luck. Nice stand. Dan

illustrator

Re: convict question

Post by illustrator » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:06 am

I am curious how it is going now. My guess is, based on the photographs, that the first "black" fish is not a true convict but a hybrid of a convict with something else. The head shape is too pointed and the eye-colour and overall colour don't match with convicts. Hard to say which is the other involved species, could be something as "different looking" as a firemouth (which would explain the headshape). Very hard to say if such a fish will ever pair up with anything, it might not recognise any other fish as "it's own species" and it's behaviour might not be recognised by any other cichlid either.

The white ones, well, hmmm, I think that they are both ... male leucistic (white) convicts, one adult and one subadult.

And your aquariums look kind of small to house several of these territorial guys.

So, after all this, please tell me that i have it all wrong!

Philippe Burnel
CichlidRoom Expert

Re:

Post by Philippe Burnel » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:53 am

justlooking2 wrote: Image
what a lovely tank !

Bojan Dolenc

Re: convict question

Post by Bojan Dolenc » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:06 am

Change in habit, producing change of function, is the main cause of the production of change in living structure. F. Wood Jones (1953) Trends of life

Return to “Cichlid Behaviour”