Infrared vision??

Discussions on cichlid behaviour in nature & captivity.

Moderator: Troy

Lisachromis
Administrator

Infrared vision??

Post by Lisachromis » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:18 am

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 081354.htm
Biologists from the University of Bonn have discovered that the cichlid fish Pelvicachromis taeniatus can see in the near infrared range; this was thought to be unlikely until now. Seeing in the infrared range is apparently helping fish to hunt in shallow African rivers.
Infrared radiation in partner selection?

When performing color measurements on these fish the researchers found that certain regions of the cichlid body reflect the light in the near-infared range. "We found that females reflect infrared radiation from their belly region, and males from their fins" says Dr. Baldauf. The female belly is important for mate choice, and the fins are displayed during aggressive encounters between males. "Perhaps near-infrared signals play a role in visual communication in this species" says the biologist. "And that's what we additionally would like to study in further experiments."

SergeS

Re: Infrared vision??

Post by SergeS » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:33 am

Wow. Navy Seal Cichlids :mrgreen:

But seriously. Why not? Cichlids are very visually oriented animals, and I guess it's obvious that they can see colours. Has there been some research in this direction in the past? Maybe not specifically about infrared vision, but vision of cichlids in general. I think we all know from experience that their eyesight is pretty good, definitely on short distances. I am quite sure that my fish recognize the can I keep my food in, from a couple of yards away :lol:

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:27 am

I'm quite sure most fish even recognize people. Their normal feeder they come running to the front of the tank if they even go near the tank. Someone new? They often scatter and look for hiding spots.

SergeS

Post by SergeS » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:13 am

Lisachromis wrote:I'm quite sure most fish even recognize people. Their normal feeder they come running to the front of the tank if they even go near the tank. Someone new? They often scatter and look for hiding spots.
Definitely! My fish would take food from me, and also from my 6-year old daughter. But when my girlfriend fed them, it was like if she was putting food in an empty tank - they all hid between the rocks :lol:

Return to “Cichlid Behaviour”