Tropheus and demasoni

For discussion of all Tropheus & Petrochromis
ArikA

Tropheus and demasoni

Post by ArikA » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:38 am

Hello all,

I have 350 liter tank and I wonder if it possible to put inside a group of 8 Tropheuses and a group of Pseudotropheus demasoni ?
Is that combination possible?
Thanks
Arik

ArikA

Re: Tropheus and demasoni

Post by ArikA » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:17 am

Anyone????

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:38 pm

I'll convert the liters to US gallons to maybe get you some more help.

350l = 92 USG

Is your tank a 4 foot (122 cm) or (152cm) 5 foot tank?
I'm sure the dimensions are important to help you out.

Pam Chin
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Pam Chin » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:40 pm

I just think if you are really serious about keeping Tropheus you don't want to mix them with anything. Especially if this is the first time you are going to keep them. I have never been successful mixing them with other species. They do much better in larger groups also, and with your size of tank you could nice group of 20 - 24 Tropheus.

If you mix Tropheus and Ps. Demasoni they are both going to be competing for the same area of the tank, which is not going to be a good thing either.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam Chin

I've never met a cichlid I didn't like!
http://s1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh506/PamChin100/

ArikA

Post by ArikA » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:36 pm

Thanks, My tank size is 120*48*60cm. if it necessary I can put a 450- 500 liters tank (120-132 US gallons).
Is the only problem is the size of the tank?
Genneraly, can I mix tropheus with malawi?

Pam Chin
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Pam Chin » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:28 pm

I think the size of your tank is very good, you have many options with that size of tank.

I do not like to mix Lake Malawi cichlids with Lake Tanganyika cichlids, I do not think it is a good idea.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam Chin

I've never met a cichlid I didn't like!
http://s1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh506/PamChin100/

ArikA

Post by ArikA » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:35 am

Pam Chin wrote:I think the size of your tank is very good, you have many options with that size of tank.

I do not like to mix Lake Malawi cichlids with Lake Tanganyika cichlids, I do not think it is a good idea.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Thanks, What is the main reason for this recommendation?

sidguppy

Post by sidguppy » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:20 am

they don't talk the same language.

no, I'm not pulling your leg here......
both Tropheus and Mbuna's (demasoni) live in large groups with a lot of social interaction and also a high level of aggression.
the chances they do now recognise each other's threat positions, dominating stances and submissive stances are very large; misunderstandings lead to rising stress levels (wich can lead to the feared BLOAT disease) and damaged fish.

FWIW I have had great success in keeping Tropheus with a long list of other fish, but then again: I had a big tank. 2 meters (over 6 feet)
personally I would never keep Tropheus in any tank shoeter than 1,5m/5 feet; unless it's a bare breeding set up with only 1 or 2 rocks and a thin layer of sand

a 1,2m tank with furniture (rockpiles) is small.......too small for Tropheus IMO.

so your choices are either keep the furniture to a minimum and breed Tropheus or buy a larger tank or keep other fish.
"And he piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it"
Jean-Luc Picard

Dach

Post by Dach » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:21 am

ArikA wrote:Hello all,

I have 350 liter tank and I wonder if it possible to put inside a group of 8 Tropheuses and a group of Pseudotropheus demasoni ?
Is that combination possible?
Thanks
Arik
I had a group of tropheus in a 90g that breed regularly. I put a single demosani in with them and he single handily disrupted their breeding. With the exception of the alpha and beta males, he chased every other tropheus in the tank. Based on my experience I would not recommend putting them together.
sidguppy wrote:they don't talk the same language.

no, I'm not pulling your leg here......
both Tropheus and Mbuna's (demasoni) live in large groups with a lot of social interaction and also a high level of aggression.
the chances they do now recognise each other's threat positions, dominating stances and submissive stances are very large; misunderstandings lead to rising stress levels (wich can lead to the feared BLOAT disease) and damaged fish.
That's very interesting. I've never thought of it that way. While there is certainly that possibility I find it hard buy that. Do you have any links to suggest that possibility or any study done to verify that theory. I'd like to read up more on that if there is.

Return to “Tropheus & Petrochromis”