Petrochromis

For discussion of all Tropheus & Petrochromis
Ancelin Sébastien

Petrochromis

Post by Ancelin Sébastien » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:09 am

I have Petrochromis sp. Mtoto Yellow, I would like to know what you think, Ad Konnings named Petrochromis sp.Gold. Characteristic his mouth is terminal may be closed completely, which is surprising is that some individuals will change colour from blue-violet to become almost white. Please enlighten me.

cyatide

Re: Petrochromis

Post by cyatide » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:56 pm

Hello Sebastien,

I have not been keeping this species yet, but according what I read I know that, unfortunately, all the individuals turn in a grey-bluish colour when they get 6-8 cm TL.

This a quite particular Petrochromis and, like Peter Schupke already noticed, its shape is very similar to that of P. sp. "Red" from the Mahale National Park area (a locality very far from Mtoto!!!).

You can compare the fish of your pictures with this young F1 "Red" pair I am keeping.

Maybe they could be placed in the same species ...

Cheers, Paolo Salvagiani

Ancelin Sébastien

Post by Ancelin Sébastien » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:51 am

Hello Paolo 5 individuals but there are one who has changed colour others are still yellow for the male and yellow with brown bars, and you are right it looks completely at P sp.rouge pro forma and mouth .

Ancelin Sébastien

Post by Ancelin Sébastien » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:54 am

Ancelin Sébastien wrote:Hello Paolo 5 individuals but there are one who has changed colour others are still yellow for the male and yellow with brown bars, and you are right it looks completely at P sp.rouge pro forma and mouth .
Pardon I forget that they messure now more than 10 cm.

sidguppy

Post by sidguppy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:30 am

I'm very interested in these 2 species as well; the sp "Red" even more than the Mtoto. (cause of the looks, of course).

now I heard several things; can any of the experts confirm these, or blow em away if it turns out to be nonsense?
enlightment needed :lol:

heard:
Petrochromis sp "Red' is supposed to be a bit of a "deeper water Petrochromis" and this is one of the reasons it's so expensive: deeper water means harder to catch. and because fewer algae grow at depths (I hear depths mentioned between 15-40 meters), this is supposed to be more of an omnivore than, say for example Tropheus or Petrochromis polyodon/famula/fasciolatus etc

Petrochromis sp "Red" and P sp "Mototo" are closely related or even varieties of the same species. if the Red is a deeper water Petro, would the Mtoto be such a one as well? true or false?

seen with me own very eyes, repeatedly:
the Mtoto is a very mellow fish as aufwuchsgrazers go, and has little agression. I've seen similar behaviour by 10cm/4" sp "Red". does this change when they get bigger, or do they stay a mellow version of Petro's, compared to the shallow water species?

anyone in Europe breeding these? wildcaughts are next to impossible to get.
F'1s of any Tanganyikan fish are much better suited to life in a fishtank IME. easier to keep by a mile, a whole lot less death too.
"And he piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it"
Jean-Luc Picard

arthur

Post by arthur » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:16 pm

HI
I saw some M'toto today i this thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4306 and I most admit that they are very much alike.
I think that I will try to get some M'toto to see the difference, if there are any.
Do you have more pictures?

Here is a picture of tree young Red's.

Ancelin Sébastien

Post by Ancelin Sébastien » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:36 am

Yes they are calmer than others I maintain Petro Trewavasae, sp. Kasumbe Halembe too.

www.Gtoph.fr
http://www.labia.phpnet.org/forum/

Ancelin Sébastien

Post by Ancelin Sébastien » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:58 pm

Do you have young M'Toto now?
I am looking for a male but it is difficult because not knowing what it looks like?
I only females for over three years :(

Dhonti

Post by Dhonti » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:54 pm

Here are some pictures from the Petrochromis sp Mtoto (aka Cameron bay) which I've kept 4 years ago:

The almost black Petro is a male.

Male in centre, female left, sp red in bottom:

Look how they resemble the P. sp red Bulupoint at the size of 10cm or 4":
Cheers G.

Tanganyika: "It's a kind of magic".

Ancelin Sébastien

Post by Ancelin Sébastien » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:41 pm

This stunning color photos of a male my female incubated.

1oscar

Post by 1oscar » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:31 am

cool looking petro!!!

Return to “Tropheus & Petrochromis”