single lone petrochromis behavior

For discussion of all Tropheus & Petrochromis
taeniopareius

single lone petrochromis behavior

Post by taeniopareius » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:39 am

I am thinking about keeping a single Petrochromis [Moshi or Bulu Point] in 2 meter tank with other herbivorous fishes. Wondering would lone Petro attack other cichlids or unrelated fishes?

cyatide

Re: single lone petrochromis behavior

Post by cyatide » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:39 pm

taeniopareius wrote:I am thinking about keeping a single Petrochromis [Moshi or Bulu Point] in 2 meter tank with other herbivorous fishes. Wondering would lone Petro attack other cichlids or unrelated fishes?

Hello,

we all know that Petrochromis are impredictible fish, but very often when they are kept alone, they can become very aggressive towards other fish also of very different species.
It seems like they need however to download their aggressiveness, or they get bored and need a way to spend their time.

Conversely, when there are other (better many!) specimens of the thier species in the tank, they do not care at all about the other species!

Cheers, Paolo Salvagiani

taeniopareius

Post by taeniopareius » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:21 pm

Thanks. Generally how many petros like red bulu is needed for the group in 220x90cm tank? Any other compatible petro species?

sidguppy

Post by sidguppy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:52 am

my experiences with the mediumsized (not the big uns!) is exactly the opposite; those tend to ignore other fishes, unless they look a lot like themselves.

to me the agression of petrochromis is mainly aimed at specdiesmembers, unlike Tropheus that can and do nip the fins of other fish.
Simochromis is even worse.

but i've seen and kept Petro's with slower movi9ng fish, even long finned ones (like featherfins), and never was there any issue.

there were 2 other parameters, mind; it was a roomy tank (1200 liters) and there were lots of algae (no pleco's in my Tanganyika tanks!!), so the fish had "something to do".
"And he piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it"
Jean-Luc Picard

noddy

Post by noddy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:08 pm

I keep a single male Petro sp. yellow Mtoto in each of two, 5' 120g Tropheus tanks. They pretty much behave like the Trophs without getting into the fights.

Return to “Tropheus & Petrochromis”