Danakilia dinicolai, a new species from Eritrea.

New cichlid species and taxonomy
Rafael.

Danakilia dinicolai, a new species from Eritrea.

Post by Rafael. » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:59 pm

A new species of Danakilia (Teleostei, Cichlidae) from Lake Abaeded in the Danakil Depression of Eritrea (East Africa)

MELANIE L. J. STIASSNY, GIUSEPPE DE MARCHI & ANTON LAMBOJ
Abstract
A new species of cichlid fish is described from a small, endorheic lake (Lake Abaeded), situated some 30 m below sea level in the Danakil Depression of Eritrea (East Africa). Danakilia dinicolai is readily distinguished from its congener, D. franchettii, on the basis of body proportions and in the possession of markedly longer pectoral fins at all sizes. Additionally, oral dentition is more robust than that of its congener, and the lower pharyngeal jaw is markedly hypertrophied and covered with considerably finer and more densely implanted teeth on the posterior field of the jaw.

From: http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2010/f/z02690p052f.pdf
http://www.aquaesfera.org/panel/index.php Tu foro sobre acuariofilia en español.

Tachymarptis
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Danakilia dinicolai, a new species from Eritrea.

Post by Tachymarptis » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:27 pm

Very interesting... With Iranocichla, which has been imported and bred recently, Danakilia is a cichlid which I would like to see in aquarium one day.

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:05 pm

It would be nice to see a color photo of male and female.

Nuchal Man

Post by Nuchal Man » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:25 pm

Does anyone have the paper. I'm very interested in seeing it.

Thanks,

Sam Borstein

Philippe Burnel
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Philippe Burnel » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:35 am

Sam... sent to you

Mark, I send the description, you'll see color pictures. Really a nice fish

Philippe

Nuchal Man

Post by Nuchal Man » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:39 am

Thanks Philippe. What a beautiful and interesting fish. I really hope some of these made it back alive. Although obviously not closely related, the photo of the male reminds me of a 'Geophagus' steindachneri with the nuchal hump, spangling, and finnage.

a.d.wood

Post by a.d.wood » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:56 am

Nuchal Man wrote:Thanks Philippe. What a beautiful and interesting fish. I really hope some of these made it back alive.........
The male does have a stunning nuchal hump!!

I doubt these fish are available, the paper is based on collections made in 1998 and 2001. There is also a reference (dated 2009) in the paper that the placement of the genus Danakilia (in relation to Tristramella and Iranocichla) could not be completed due to lack of DNA material (from the genus Danakilia)...

Andrew

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:09 am

Thanks Philippe! I sure hope some enterprising hobbyist can go back to this small lake and bring out this beautiful species for the hobby.

Bojan Dolenc

Post by Bojan Dolenc » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:30 pm

Mark Smith wrote:Thanks Philippe! I sure hope some enterprising hobbyist can go back to this small lake and bring out this beautiful species for the hobby.
Be careful: Eritrea and Ethiopia fought a border war from 1998-2000. United Nations peacekeepers patrolled the border until March 2008, when Government of Eritrea diesel fuel restrictions resulted in the peacekeepers’ withdrawal. Both Eritrea and Ethiopia maintain large military presences along the border and all border crossings into Ethiopia from Eritrea remain closed. Since April 2008, large numbers of Eritrean troops have been deployed along Eritrea’s border with Djibouti. Landmines and unexploded ordnance remain a serious problem throughout the country. There are reports of accidents and numerous incidents where vehicles and people occasionally detonate mines. Many detonations occurred on relatively well-traveled roads in and near the Gash Barka region of western Eritrea; subsequent investigations indicated that several mines were recently laid. Vast areas of the country still have not been certified free of mines and unexploded ordnance left over from both the 30-year war for independence and the subsequent 1998-2000 conflict with Ethiopia. There has been a severe increase in crime in Asmara due to deteriorating economic conditions, and persistent food, water, and fuel shortages. Travelers should exercise vigilance in their personal security and take safety precautions regarding what valuables they carry and which areas they visit.
And so on... :?
Change in habit, producing change of function, is the main cause of the production of change in living structure. F. Wood Jones (1953) Trends of life

SergeS

Post by SergeS » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:34 am

In that case an "enterprising hobbyist" is probably not enough. Indiana Jones is what we need to go and get some of these fish :)

Adrian Indermaur
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Adrian Indermaur » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:08 am

Looks like a very interesting fish....

@phillipe: Do you think it would be possible to send me a copy of the mauscript aswell?

Kind regards

Adrian

a.indermaur@unibas.ch
Greetings from Basel

Return to “Taxonomy”