Two New Geophagus Species

New cichlid species and taxonomy
Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Two New Geophagus Species

Post by Mark Smith » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:04 am

Two new species of cichlid fish genus Geophagus Heckel from the Rio Tocantins drainage (Perciformes: Cichlidae)

PAULO H. F. LUCINDA, CARLOS A. S. LUCENA & NEWTON C. ASSIS
Zootaxa 2429: 29–42

Geophagus neambi
Geophagus sveni

Florent
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Two New Geophagus Species

Post by Florent » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:27 am

G. neambi seems to be Geophagus sp. aff argyrostictus "Araguaia" or G. sp Porto Franco , but G. sveni doesn't match with any species I know for the Tocantins drainage (G. sp Aeroes or G. sp red head araguaia tocantins)

Does anyone have the paper ?

Bojan Dolenc

Post by Bojan Dolenc » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:51 am

Florent wrote:G. neambi seems to be Geophagus sp. aff argyrostictus "Araguaia" or G. sp Porto Franco , but G. sveni doesn't match with any species I know for the Tocantins drainage (G. sp Aeroes or G. sp red head araguaia tocantins)

Does anyone have the paper ?
I have it yet 8)
Geophagus neambi andG. sveni are the first “true” Geophagus species described from this drainage. Geophagus neambi and G. sveni probably represent two additional examples of endemism within the Rio Tocantins drainage, an area of endemism for several Neotropical freshwater fish groups as identified by several authors...
The specific name sveni is a patronym for Sven Kullander, in recognition of his many contributions to Cichlid Systematics.
The specific name neambi is a patronym for the Núcleo de Estudos Ambientais (Neamb),Universidade Federal do Tocantins in recognition of its effort in studying the Rio Tocantins Ichthyofauna.
Change in habit, producing change of function, is the main cause of the production of change in living structure. F. Wood Jones (1953) Trends of life

Rafael.

Post by Rafael. » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:48 am

Very interesting.

Please, Can you send the paper to my mail?

Thanks in advance,

Rafael.
http://www.aquaesfera.org/panel/index.php Tu foro sobre acuariofilia en español.

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:42 am

Hi Bojan

Might I obtain a copy of this paper from you also?

Many Thanks!

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:24 pm

Thanks Bojan!!

Nuchal Man

Post by Nuchal Man » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:21 pm

Hi Bojan,

Can you send me a copy as well?

Thanks,
sam Borstein

sam@borstein.com

cichla
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by cichla » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:55 pm

Dear Florent, Dear all,
I am not sure yet, but, I think Geophagus neambi is G. spec. Tocantins (see Stawikowski & Werner 2004: 317-319). Geophagus sp. aff. argyrostictus "Araguaia" / G. sp Porto Franco is a member the G. argyrostictus species group. Geophagus neambi seems to be the ''first member'' of an unnamed group.
Greetings, INGO

Marko Lenac

Post by Marko Lenac » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:20 pm

please bojan also to marko.lenac@ri.t-com.hr

thanks!

Nuchal Man

Post by Nuchal Man » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:47 pm

Thanks Bojan. Interesting read.

Marko Lenac

Post by Marko Lenac » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:56 am

thank you!

Florent
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Florent » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:03 am

cichla wrote:Dear Florent, Dear all,
I am not sure yet, but, I think Geophagus neambi is G. spec. Tocantins (see Stawikowski & Werner 2004: 317-319). Geophagus sp. aff. argyrostictus "Araguaia" / G. sp Porto Franco is a member the G. argyrostictus species group. Geophagus neambi seems to be the ''first member'' of an unnamed group.
Greetings, INGO
Dear Ingo,

I'am not sure too as I still have to read the paper and I don't have Stawikowski & Werner's book with me . But reading the abstract and with Jens Gottwald article http://www.geophagus.net/pub/191_2.htmI understand that :

You have at least 5 Geophagus species in Tocantins drainage.

Geophagus altifrons
Geophagus aff. altifrons
Geophagus sp Aeroes
Geophagus aff. argyrostictus , "Porto franco" (Weidner) "araguaia" (Stawikowski & Werner)
Image*
Geophagus sp. Tocantins/Araguaia, "araguaia orange head" (Weidner), "Tocantins" (Stawikowski & Werner)

For me G. sp Porto Franco match well with G. neambi because : " eight or nine vertical, parallel bars along the flank, the bar containing mid-lateral spot bifurcate above and below midlateral blotch and by the caudal fin bearing rounded white spots."

G. sveni maybe be G. aff. altifrons but I am not sure of the meaning of that : "caudal fin vertically clear and black barred". What is vertical ? the bars or the alternance of black and clear ?

Bojan Dolenc

Post by Bojan Dolenc » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:39 am

Interesting! In the paper are mentioned only 3 species of Geophagus for Rio Tocantins? Maybe they mean only the upper portion of the river? Third one is Geophagus proximus Castelnau, which was reported by Santos et al. (2004) inhabiting the lower portions of Rio Tocantins drainage?
Change in habit, producing change of function, is the main cause of the production of change in living structure. F. Wood Jones (1953) Trends of life

Florent
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Florent » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:49 am

Dear all,

I finally read the paper and G. neambi isn't neither G. sp. "porto franco" nor G. sp. "orange head araguaia" but may be close to the species known from upper Araguaia drainage : Geophagus sp "Aeroes" or "Rio das Mortes". Other Geophagus species have the same pattern of thin bands and round spots on tail: G. sp Amapa Grande, G. sp Maicuru , G sp.Rio Nhamunda (for example http://www.geophagus.net/art/steckbrief ... ilder.html)

G. sveni is, I think, unknown in the hobby and the high dorsal fin make the fish looking like G. sp Altamira from Xingu

Philippe Burnel
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Philippe Burnel » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:05 am

I'd like to get the pdf file please
Philippe

cichla
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by cichla » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:24 pm

I agree with you, Florent (thanks for the collection of the photos), that G. sveni is not known in the hobby yet. The high number of scales in the E1 row and the elongated pectoral fin indicate a close relationship to G. altifrons. Thus, Geophagus sveni seems to be a member of the G. surinamensis group.
I think Geophagus neambi is a member of the so called 'Rotstirn-Gruppe' ('Red Head'). The bars are vertically divided („eight or nine conspicuous bifurcated vertically bars“) and the number of scales in row E1 is comparatively low (usually 31 or 32 vs > 33 in altifrons & co). However, the caudal fin pattern (“Caudal fin dusky, round white spotted“) is more similar to G. sp. "Aeroes".
Cheers, INGO

Rico Morgenstern
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Rico Morgenstern » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:15 am

In my opinion, the specimen of G. naembi figured alive agrees very well with G. sp. "Areoes". On the other hand, I am not so sure with the preserved holotype, which shows the "double stripes" much more distinct and well separated. In this, it seems to agree better with the 'Read head' Geophagus, as suggested by Ingo. This species, however, has usually a longitudinally striped caudal fin.

RM

Mack Emmons

Post by Mack Emmons » Mon May 10, 2010 11:24 pm

I would also appreciate a copy of the paper, if possible.

Mack@gymnogeophagus.com

JeremyBasch

Post by JeremyBasch » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:12 am

Is this paper still available?

Jeremy

Return to “Taxonomy”