New genus 'Nosferatu'.

New cichlid species and taxonomy
Bojan Dolenc

New genus 'Nosferatu'.

Post by Bojan Dolenc » Mon May 05, 2014 12:03 pm

Newly-published..... the genus 'Nosferatu'..... really? :lol: :roll:
http://link.springer.com/article/10.100 ... 014-1891-8
Hydrobiologia May 2014 - Phylogeographic analysis of genus Herichthys (Perciformes: Cichlidae), with descriptions of Nosferatu new genus and H. tepehua n. sp.
Mauricio De la Maza-Benignos, Claudia Patricia Ornelas-García, María de Lourdes Lozano-Vilano, María Elena García-Ramírez, Ignacio Doadrio
Abstract
The genus Herichthys is widely considered to be the monophyletic representative of Cichlidae in northeastern Mexico and southern Texas. It is also the northernmost distributed genus of Neotropical Cichlids. Its distribution stretches over an area that is characterized by an intricate geologic and climatic history that affected its temporal and spatial diversification north of the Trans-Mexican Volcanic-Belt. We access the evolutionary history of the genus Herichthys based on a phylogenetic reconstruction using a mitochondrial fragment of gene Cox1. We evaluate its morphological variation, its correspondence with molecular differentiation and suggest a biogeographical scenario based on a molecular clock and demographic history. Furthermore, we describe Nosferatu new genus, composed of Nosferatu pame (assigned as type species), N. molango, N. pratinus, N. bartoni, N. labridens, N. pantostictus, and N. steindachneri. Genus is characterized by a transition to prolongation in the size of the symphysial pair of teeth relative to that of the other teeth in the outer row of the upper jaw; breeding pigmentation that consists of darkening of ventral area extending over nostrils, opercular series, or pectoral fins; depressed dorsal fin rarely expands beyond anterior third of caudal fin; and an elongated, elastic, smooth caecum adhered to a saccular stomach. We also describe Herichthys tepehua n. sp. found in the Pantepec, Cazones, Tenixtepec, Tecolutla, and Solteros rivers, in Veracruz, Mexico. Moreover, we provide re-descriptions for some of the species in Herichthys and propose a biogeographic hypothesis for both genera, based on available information on the geological and climate history of the area of study, associated to dating retrieved in our phylogenetic analysis.
Guest editors: S. Koblmüller, R. C. Albertson, M. J. Genner, K. M. Sefc & T. Takahashi / Advances in Cichlid Research: Behavior, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
Change in habit, producing change of function, is the main cause of the production of change in living structure. F. Wood Jones (1953) Trends of life

DRE

Re: New genus 'Nosferatu'.

Post by DRE » Mon May 05, 2014 12:11 pm

Thanks!

Interesting name :).

Anyone with the pdf that can share this with me? So a new species as well? Herichthys tepehua.
Discovery consists of looking at the same thing as everyone else and thinking something different

Philippe Burnel
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Philippe Burnel » Mon May 05, 2014 12:20 pm

LOL !!!

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Mon May 05, 2014 1:34 pm

Anybody who can explain the joke in Nosferatu?

As a fishkeeper I'm not surprized the elongated, more or les carnivorous fishes are separated from the higher build, more omnivorous fishes, but this does not say anything about phulogeny.

I could not say whether say N pamu is more or less related to N bartoni than H carpinte, but it turns out the species can be grouped.

I think this will make life easier for us - in the end

Philippe Burnel
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Philippe Burnel » Mon May 05, 2014 1:56 pm

Bas Pels wrote:Anybody who can explain the joke in Nosferatu?

As a fishkeeper I'm not surprized the elongated, more or les carnivorous fishes are separated from the higher build, more omnivorous fishes,
And what about the variety among H minckleyi ?

The feeding behaviour can't be a reason to separate genus.

DRE

Post by DRE » Mon May 05, 2014 2:17 pm

Discovery consists of looking at the same thing as everyone else and thinking something different

michi tobler
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by michi tobler » Mon May 05, 2014 5:08 pm

Philippe Burnel wrote:The feeding behaviour can't be a reason to separate genus.
To be fair, aspects of trophic morphology (not behavior) may have influenced the etymology, but the call to split Herichthys is also supported by other (long-established) evidence (phylogeny). Notwithstanding, it is kind of a cheap shot to split one monophyletic group into two monophyletic groups. IMHO, it doesn't add much to understanding cichlid evolutionary history. It's the same with describing a bunch of allopatric species with minute (but statistically significant) phenotypic (or genetic) evidence; give me locality info and all is clear...
I haven't looked at the species description in detail, so I am still forming an opinion on that...
Cheers, m
Humans are not the pinnacle of evolutionary progress but only an aberrant side branch of fish evolution - Moyle

Website

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Tue May 06, 2014 1:34 am

Philippe Burnel wrote:
Bas Pels wrote:Anybody who can explain the joke in Nosferatu?

As a fishkeeper I'm not surprized the elongated, more or les carnivorous fishes are separated from the higher build, more omnivorous fishes,
And what about the variety among H minckleyi ?

The feeding behaviour can't be a reason to separate genus.
Philippe,

I tried not to comment on the validity of the genus, I just wanted to point out that for us, fishkeepers, it makes our life easier

Sometimes we are in luck, but not always :(

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Willem Heijns » Tue May 06, 2014 3:57 am

I just thought it was funny.......

Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Tue May 06, 2014 3:44 pm

Would love a pdf copy of this paper if anyone has it.

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Tue May 06, 2014 3:46 pm

Also, does Herichthys tepehua correspond to one of the undescribed species recognized by Cichlidae.com?

Philippe Burnel
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Philippe Burnel » Wed May 07, 2014 12:11 am

Mark Smith wrote:Also, does Herichthys tepehua correspond to one of the undescribed species recognized by Cichlidae.com?
Yes, seems to be the 2 unescribed sp H Cazones AND H Poza-Rica !

Philippe
(also hoping for the PDF file)

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Willem Heijns » Wed May 07, 2014 4:58 am

It seems a certain level of splitting is also at hand. The name Herichthys teporatus Fowler 1903 is revived from the synonymy of Herichthys cyanoguttatus. The species is diagnosed by the development of a nuchal hump in adult males, larger iridescent spots (1-1.5 mm instead of <1 mm) and some minor differences in body measurements, like a shorter head (35% SL instead of 37% SL). It will be hard for the hobbyist to tell these two apart. :?
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

michi tobler
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by michi tobler » Wed May 07, 2014 10:37 am

For the hobbyist? It will be just hard to tell them apart;)
Humans are not the pinnacle of evolutionary progress but only an aberrant side branch of fish evolution - Moyle

Website

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Wed May 07, 2014 10:39 am

Most likely impossible! the synonymy had already been established, not without basis
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

The Cichlid Room Companion
http://www.cichlidae.info

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Willem Heijns » Mon May 12, 2014 1:53 pm

I have been deceived by Hollywood! :evil: It turns out that the teeth of the vampire as I knew them were a Hollywood invention. Nesferatu's teeth were exactly like the ones in the new cichlid genus. Sorry about my little joke....

Back to more serious stuff. Some remarks about the (as yet unpublished) paper. Many memebers of this forum would probably agree that the (former) labridens group can be easily distinguished form the other Herichthys species. The molecular results of the study at hand confirm this. What I do not quite understand is the reluctance by some to accept a new genus for this clearly monophyletic group. My question as to where this reluctance comes from, has so far not been answered. There must be other criteria to help us decide whether a separate generic status is warranted (or not).

What strikes me about the species level part of the paper is that the molecular analysis does not give us much information on species delimitation. Especially within Herichthys many haplotypes are shared by quite a few species (I guess the Herichthys pantostictus having haplotype H8 shared with tepehua and tamasopoensis is a bit lost). The authors seem to have realized this and use morphometric data to delimit (and diagnose) species. For some (like teporatus) the differences are rather small, to say the least.

One final interesting issue is the designation of the neotype for Herichthys deppi. The International Code for Zoological Nomenclature (ICZN). regulates this. Article 75.3 states that a neotype may be validly designated when there is "an exceptional need" that has to be stated expressly. This need is formulated as "to clarify the taxonomic status and type locality". Werner and Stawikowski (1998) had already noted that the the type locality of deppii is most likely the Río Misantla, which is acknowledged in the paper. Specimens of deppi in the Museum in Berlin have been donated there by Ferdinand Deppe himself, who also sold some to the Museum in Vienna, which were subsequently used by Heckel (1840) to describe Heros deppii. Paepke, Morgenstern & Schindler (2014) have demonstrated that the specimens used by Heckel are from the same locality. Their most interesting paper can be found here. These authors also say that there is but one cichlid species to be found in the Río Misantla. So we have a type locality and there is no doubt as to the taxonomic status of Herichthys deppii. No exceptional need for a neotype and thus the designation is invalid.
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

Dave Schumacher
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dave Schumacher » Tue May 13, 2014 10:34 am

A still from the 1922 film "Nosferatu". The front teeth were longer than the canines in this version, as they are in the new genus. The director wanted to do a "Dracula" film, but couldn't obtain the rights, so they did the same story, and called it "Nosferatu" instead. The filmmakers were actually sued for it by Bram Stoker's heirs.

Dave Schumacher
http://www.davesfish.com

michi tobler
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by michi tobler » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:07 pm

Willem Heijns wrote:Back to more serious stuff. Some remarks about the (as yet unpublished) paper. Many memebers of this forum would probably agree that the (former) labridens group can be easily distinguished form the other Herichthys species. The molecular results of the study at hand confirm this. What I do not quite understand is the reluctance by some to accept a new genus for this clearly monophyletic group. My question as to where this reluctance comes from, has so far not been answered. There must be other criteria to help us decide whether a separate generic status is warranted (or not).
Hi Willem,
I figure you meant me with this;) I have no reluctance to change the designation of the included species at all. I agree that the argument is straightforward. My snarky comment about the name change not adding much to our understanding of cichlid evolutionary history is not reflective of a disagreement with the authors about the soundness of such a taxonomic change. Being familiar with the group, I agree that this is a sound taxonomic modification. But as a biologist interested in ecological and evolutionary mechanisms underlying the origins of biodiversity, this is a mere book keeping change. I wouldn't mind referring to the labridens group just as that; a distinct group within the genus Herichthys. It makes no difference to me what the generic epithet is. I didn't mean to leave the impression that I disagree with the name change. I guess I just prefer consistency and stability in nomenclature. It makes life much easier, especially in cases like this where there were no problems regarding poly- or paraphyly (unlike in other groups).
Cheers, m

Website

DRE

Post by DRE » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:40 am

So is the new genus valid? I see catalog och fishes has adopted to it, not fish base and not cichlidae...

btw, anyone with the pdf?

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:41 am

The genus name has not officially being published in paper yet, so as of today it is not valid, after that it will be a valid name but the adoption is not mandatory
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

The Cichlid Room Companion
http://www.cichlidae.info

Return to “Taxonomy”