Page 4 of 4

Re: 5 New Metriaclima Species

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:46 pm
by Willem Heijns
Solving a nomenclatural problem with a taxonomic solution? :shock:

Re: 5 New Metriaclima Species

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:05 am
by Bojan Dolenc
J.R. JR. STAUFFER, A F. KONINGS, T.M. RYAN (2016): Redescription of Pseudotropheus livingstonii and Pseudotropheus elegans from Lake Malaŵi, Africa. Zootaxa Vol 4154, No 2 http://mapress.com/j/zt/article/view/zootaxa.4154.2.4
Keywords Pisces, Ethmo-vomerine bloc, mbuna, Metriaclima lanisticola

Michael K. Oliver
wrote about this on Twitter today: "·Alas, these authors [Stauffer, Konings, Ryan] still use junior synonym Metriaclima instead of correct Maylandia, thus continuing to mislead general biologists!" :?

Re: 5 New Metriaclima Species

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:49 am
by Philippe Burnel
Oliver is right.
It's time to forget Metriaclima.

Re: 5 New Metriaclima Species

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:45 pm
by Juan Artigas
I am just amazed of the time and effort some people employ to try to force others to think as they do

Re: 5 New Metriaclima Species

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:35 pm
by michi tobler
You say that. And I am not sure what side you are referring to.... I guess that's what we call job security?

Re: 5 New Metriaclima Species

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:47 pm
by Juan Artigas
I guess that could apply to both sides, when applicable. In my opinion there are not Metriaclima nor Maylandia, just Cynotilapia, and I believe it is quite an irrelevant case

Re: 5 New Metriaclima Species

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:28 am
by Philippe Burnel
Juan Artigas wrote:. In my opinion there are not Metriaclima nor Maylandia, just Cynotilapia
That could be true. It has been published a few years ago by Patrick Tawil.

Re: 5 New Metriaclima Species

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:46 pm
by Rico Morgenstern
I'm not familiar enough with Mbuna to judge (or even to have an opinion) whether a synonymy of Maylandia and Metriaclima with Cynotilapia is justified, but this would definitely solve (or circumvent) the problem. However, for the time being it is still there; and it seems that we have to live with it because no solotion is in sight. All arguments have been brought forward and I don't believe that new 'evidence' in favour of the one or the other view will ever be found. The comission can only settle it if someone forwards the case to them. Quite a strange situation indeed. However, regardless if somone uses Maylandia or Metriaclima - we know that the group of zebra-like Mbuna is meant. It is little more than a 'nomenclatural blemish'. There are certainly much more problematic cases with real confusion (e.g. the Poecilia petenensis issue).

Re: 5 New Metriaclima Species

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:51 am
by Fogelhund
Juan Artigas wrote:I guess that could apply to both sides, when applicable. In my opinion there are not Metriaclima nor Maylandia, just Cynotilapia, and I believe it is quite an irrelevant case
Is this belief that they should just be in Cynotilapia, a change that will be reflected in your website soon? Moving those listed under Metriaclima, to Cynotilapia.

Re: 5 New Metriaclima Species

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:58 am
by Juan Artigas
Fogelhund wrote:Is this belief that they should just be in Cynotilapia, a change that will be reflected in your website soon? Moving those listed under Metriaclima, to Cynotilapia.
No, it is a personal belief, but the classification in the site follows specific proposals with a reference to a publication, and the approval of the area counselor(s), in the case of Lake Malawi: Ad Konings and Patrick Tawil. We don't have those conditions fullfilled

Re: 5 New Metriaclima Species

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:41 am
by SergeS
Juan Artigas wrote:
Fogelhund wrote:Is this belief that they should just be in Cynotilapia, a change that will be reflected in your website soon? Moving those listed under Metriaclima, to Cynotilapia.
No, it is a personal belief, but the classification in the site follows specific proposals with a reference to a publication, and the approval of the area counselor(s), in the case of Lake Malawi: Ad Konings and Patrick Tawil. We don't have those conditions fullfilled
Given the obvious conflict of interest & opinion in this case, I don't think you ever will :lol:

Re: 5 New Metriaclima Species

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:45 am
by Juan Artigas
SergeS wrote:Given the obvious conflict of interest & opinion in this case, I don't think you ever will :lol:
You got that right Sergey! Well you never know...