Re: 5 New Metriaclima Species

Post by Willem Heijns » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:46 pm

Solving a nomenclatural problem with a taxonomic solution? :shock:
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

Bojan Dolenc

Post by Bojan Dolenc » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:05 am

J.R. JR. STAUFFER, A F. KONINGS, T.M. RYAN (2016): Redescription of Pseudotropheus livingstonii and Pseudotropheus elegans from Lake Malaŵi, Africa. Zootaxa Vol 4154, No 2 http://mapress.com/j/zt/article/view/zootaxa.4154.2.4
Keywords Pisces, Ethmo-vomerine bloc, mbuna, Metriaclima lanisticola

Michael K. Oliver
wrote about this on Twitter today: "·Alas, these authors [Stauffer, Konings, Ryan] still use junior synonym Metriaclima instead of correct Maylandia, thus continuing to mislead general biologists!" :?
Change in habit, producing change of function, is the main cause of the production of change in living structure. F. Wood Jones (1953) Trends of life

Philippe Burnel
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Philippe Burnel » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:49 am

Oliver is right.
It's time to forget Metriaclima.

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:45 pm

I am just amazed of the time and effort some people employ to try to force others to think as they do
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

The Cichlid Room Companion
http://www.cichlidae.info

michi tobler
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by michi tobler » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:35 pm

You say that. And I am not sure what side you are referring to.... I guess that's what we call job security?
Humans are not the pinnacle of evolutionary progress but only an aberrant side branch of fish evolution - Moyle

Website

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:47 pm

I guess that could apply to both sides, when applicable. In my opinion there are not Metriaclima nor Maylandia, just Cynotilapia, and I believe it is quite an irrelevant case
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

Philippe Burnel
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Philippe Burnel » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:28 am

Juan Artigas wrote:. In my opinion there are not Metriaclima nor Maylandia, just Cynotilapia
That could be true. It has been published a few years ago by Patrick Tawil.

Rico Morgenstern
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Rico Morgenstern » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:46 pm

I'm not familiar enough with Mbuna to judge (or even to have an opinion) whether a synonymy of Maylandia and Metriaclima with Cynotilapia is justified, but this would definitely solve (or circumvent) the problem. However, for the time being it is still there; and it seems that we have to live with it because no solotion is in sight. All arguments have been brought forward and I don't believe that new 'evidence' in favour of the one or the other view will ever be found. The comission can only settle it if someone forwards the case to them. Quite a strange situation indeed. However, regardless if somone uses Maylandia or Metriaclima - we know that the group of zebra-like Mbuna is meant. It is little more than a 'nomenclatural blemish'. There are certainly much more problematic cases with real confusion (e.g. the Poecilia petenensis issue).

Fogelhund

Post by Fogelhund » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:51 am

Juan Artigas wrote:I guess that could apply to both sides, when applicable. In my opinion there are not Metriaclima nor Maylandia, just Cynotilapia, and I believe it is quite an irrelevant case
Is this belief that they should just be in Cynotilapia, a change that will be reflected in your website soon? Moving those listed under Metriaclima, to Cynotilapia.

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:58 am

Fogelhund wrote:Is this belief that they should just be in Cynotilapia, a change that will be reflected in your website soon? Moving those listed under Metriaclima, to Cynotilapia.
No, it is a personal belief, but the classification in the site follows specific proposals with a reference to a publication, and the approval of the area counselor(s), in the case of Lake Malawi: Ad Konings and Patrick Tawil. We don't have those conditions fullfilled
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

SergeS

Post by SergeS » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:41 am

Juan Artigas wrote:
Fogelhund wrote:Is this belief that they should just be in Cynotilapia, a change that will be reflected in your website soon? Moving those listed under Metriaclima, to Cynotilapia.
No, it is a personal belief, but the classification in the site follows specific proposals with a reference to a publication, and the approval of the area counselor(s), in the case of Lake Malawi: Ad Konings and Patrick Tawil. We don't have those conditions fullfilled
Given the obvious conflict of interest & opinion in this case, I don't think you ever will :lol:

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:45 am

SergeS wrote:Given the obvious conflict of interest & opinion in this case, I don't think you ever will :lol:
You got that right Sergey! Well you never know...
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

Return to “Taxonomy”