Brazilian Official Guide for Cichlids

Discussion about cichlid conservation and captive bred programs

Moderator: Ken Boorman

riguel contente

Brazilian Official Guide for Cichlids

Post by riguel contente » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:20 pm

Dear friends,

I am Riguel Contente, graduated in Biological Sciences at the São Paulo State University, Masters in Zoology at the Federal University of Paraná and, since 2009, doctorate student in Biological Oceanography at the Oceanographic Institute of the University of São Paulo. My research interests are on ecology of marine, estuarine and Atlantic Rainforest fishes. I have been recently hired by the Brazilian Institute of Environment and Renewable Natural Resources (IBAMA) in order to make the chapter of Cichlidae of the Guide to Identification of Brazilian Ornamental Freshwater Fishes. The main objective of this guide is to support governmental actions in supervising fisheries and the trade of ornamental fishes. Brazil has the world's most rich (and one of the most threat!) freshwater fish fauna, which is largely exploited by the ornamental fishery. While it is social-economically important for many fisher communities (especially in Amazon); it supports the bulk of the international aquarium industry. Consistent information on exploited species' taxonomy, biology and ecology are strongly necessary to support conservation, management, supervise plans and, thus, the sustainable use of such fish stocks. Currently, the Brazilian official list for the trade of ornamental freshwater fish has about 450 species, more than half of them not yet described by science. Therefore, IBAMA, with financial support of the United Nations Development Program – UNDP, is elaborating the second book of the series “Guide to Identification of Brazilian Ornamental Fishes”, which will deal with the Brazilian freshwater fish fauna legally exploited by the ornamental fishery. This chapter of the guide will be based on cichlid photos to assist in the specimens’ identification process, and I am making a huge effort to get them, especially those with high resolution and which shows key peculiarities in species’ morphology and color patterns. Thus, I would like to know if someone has pictures of Apistogramma, Dicrossus, Satanoperca, Crenicichla, Cichla and/or Teleocichla species and if so, I would be most grateful if you could send me and give me permission to use such pictures in the guide. If someone is interested in contributing with this guide, I will send a list of species of such genera I need pictures. I would like to emphasize that the photos’ copyright will NOT be transferred neither to me nor to IBAMA; it will just be reproduced with your permission and acknowledgment of source will properly be made.

Thank you in advance for assistance in this important project!

MSc. Riguel F. Contente
Lab of Reproductive Ecology - LABER
Oceanographic Institute - IO
University of São Paulo - USP
Praça do Oceanográfico, 191, 05508-120, São Paulo - SP - Brazil.
Sala 104 Lab phone 55 11 30916577
emails - riguel@usp.br, riguel.contente@gmail.com

Return to “Cichlid Conservation”