herichthys tamasopoensis

Discussion about cichlid conservation and captive bred programs

Moderator: Ken Boorman

Ash

herichthys tamasopoensis

Post by Ash » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:17 am

just asking (knowing of the ban) but is it possible to get hold of wild caught Tamas?? on their profile page it quotes:
Herichthys tamasopoensis is (NE) not evaluated by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature in the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species (2008). Not listed in the Mexican Official Norm NOM-059-ECOL-2001
so, if it's not on the lists, can it still be collected??? also, what about dither fish.....are these also banned from collection????

only asking as i'd very much like to set up a biotope from the Tamasopo river - Tamas, livebearers, tetras? and mosquito fish?

Bas Pels

Re: herichthys tamasopoensis

Post by Bas Pels » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:40 am

I got a tank with 8 H tamasopoensis, 6 H labridens 'white' Xiphophorus montezumae and Poecilia mexicana, all from the Rio Tamasopoensis. The tank measures 181 * 60 * 60 cm, which is quite close to 6 * 2* 2 feet

it is decorated with rocks and a bit of wood. I do not have any plants in it

Unfortunately, the tamasopoensis (8) are all male, so perhaps my experiences are somewhat biased. However, I think the tamasopoensis (@ 8 cm a bit smaller than the labridens males @ 10 cm, both bodylength) will not be able to withstand the labridens. I should, however remouve some of the labridens, but they are very, very quick. Therefore, this is not easily done

Fry from the lifebearers normally gets eaten. Once I wanted to remove a school of H labridens fry @ 1 cm, but I found only X montzumae in the net, which were very welcome. Later I managed to get the fast labridens out as well.

Some montezumae were returned @ 3 cm, but this was not large enough to prevent eating them

I think my conclusion will be that this tank is too small for this cichlid combination, after all the labridens wil lgrow to 20 cm for the males, and the lifebearers will, I'm afraid, not manage it at all - labridens is too much a predator

Ash

Post by Ash » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:00 am

does anyone on here have a link to the Tamasopo river?? i'm just wondering what other species live there?!

Rick Thibert

Post by Rick Thibert » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:03 am

H. sp. "White Labridens" will outcompete H. tamasopoensis in an aquarium very easily. More like dominate them. So, you're correct in saying that they will require splitting up Bas............... :)

Does Pascal have any spare females for you?

Any updated pictures of your "White Labridens"? :)

BC

Return to “Cichlid Conservation”