Post by Juan Artigas » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:13 pm

Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

The Cichlid Room Companion
http://www.cichlidae.info

Darrell Ullisch

Re: North American Fish Under Threat

Post by Darrell Ullisch » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:00 am

I believe the release of this news was timed so as to lend support to those organizations pushing for the passage of US H.R. 6311, the Invasive Species Bill. This is a House bill that will limit importation of non-native species into the US to those on a "safe" list, which would be promulgated and enforced by the US Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS). Part of that bill would make it illegal to transport species that are not on the list across state lines even if they are already in the country. Because the list would be Federal, if Piranha were left off the list because they are a danger in Florida, they would also be illegal in Minnesota. In effect, it would kill the aquarium hobby, which several animal rights organizations have been trying to do for decades.

Jim Langhammer of Detroit area recently sent me a PIJAC news release about their testimony against this bill. Anyone interested in a copy of this report send me a PM with your email and I will send it to you. It is more than simply coincidence that this "news" of the danger to North American native species should come out at this time, as well.

Don't get me wrong; I know that our native species are at risk, but I think the risk from introduced fish is overstated, or at the least, MIS-stated. The worst offenders at releasing non-native fish are the Wildlife departments of the various states, often working with the Federal FWS! And they are going to have a really tough time policing this with the current staff of FWS, which may be one of the few underfunded federal departments in our government.
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:52 am

Thanks for the info Darrell

I couldn't agree with you more on your statement:

"The worst offenders at releasing non-native fish are the Wildlife departments of the various states, often working with the Federal FWS!"

Many years ago, Texas authorities attempted to establish Nile Perch in Texas waterways. Can you actually believe that! Thankfully, the Nile Perch never became established, and they since gave up trying. Whew!

Oh, and I almost forgot Forida, how a Cichla species was introduced for angling purposes.

taeniopareius

Post by taeniopareius » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:58 pm

Released and releasing rainbow trout and brown trout around in other trout's habitat too...

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:19 pm

Darrell Ullisch wrote:Don't get me wrong; I know that our native species are at risk, but I think the risk from introduced fish is overstated, or at the least, MIS-stated.
I wont know what to say. I have seen terrible things happening after exotics have been introduced in mexican waterways. I think I you knew places like the Amacuzac river in Morelos or the Chacamax river in Chiapas before and after the introduction of exotics you may have a different opinion.
Darrell Ullisch wrote:The worst offenders at releasing non-native fish are the Wildlife departments of the various states, often working with the Federal FWS!
Can't agree more, just as it is here in Mexico.
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

The Cichlid Room Companion
http://www.cichlidae.info

Alex Calder

Post by Alex Calder » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:11 pm

California is notorious for idiotic introductions by the government.
The reservoirs are particularly bad, striped bass were introduced in the 40s and 50s.
The diversion of water from the Six rivers system decimated one of the last good Salmon watersheds on the entire west coast.

Time to get off the soap box , this stuff really bakes my noodle.

Return to “Cichlid Conservation”