Flowerhorn/Trimac ID

Discussion about cichlid conservation and captive bred programs

Moderator: Ken Boorman

Alex Odesit

Re: Flowerhorn/Trimac ID

Post by Alex Odesit » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:07 am

Pepo,
You are in Mexico, where did you get these guys? If they wild caught, Bas have valid point.

PepoLD

Post by PepoLD » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:50 pm

Alex Odesit wrote:Pepo,
You are in Mexico, where did you get these guys? If they wild caught, Bas have valid point.

At the LFS, not WC. LFS insisted it was not a flowerhorn.. he had flowerhorns in another Tank (that had the body more like a Blood Parrot), and flowerhorns were way more expensive (around 80-100 bucks) this guy was like 50.

he was 100% sure it was not a flowerhorn... but now everyone says is one *shrug*
"Welcome to McDonald's, may I take your order?" "Yes Ma'am. I'd like a large tri-mac please.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:01 am

The problem is, flowerhorns are mass produced, and not all of them look good.

among thiose who do not look good, a lot look like trimaculatus - and so they are sold as trimaculatus

The result is, all fishes offered as trimaculatus are suspect of being hybrids. That is precisely my main problem with the FH matter

FH's do not suffer - as red parrots do - so from a well being point of view we have to accept them. But FH have been passed through as true trimaculatus, and than the producers waste our hobby. I don't like them for doing that

I don't dare naming your fish. I rreally have no idea. sorry

Return to “Cichlid Conservation”