Get a haircut (and get a real job)

Discussion about cichlid conservation and captive bred programs

Moderator: Ken Boorman

waterlynch

Get a haircut (and get a real job)

Post by waterlynch » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:28 pm

Hi folks. Well, I'm graduating this year, with a B.S. in biology, marine emphasis, and in the past 8 months I have discovered my life's passion....learning everything I can get my hands on about cichlid evolution, genetics, behavior, breeding....everything. I feel obsessed sometimes, but I can't help it. I need to know everything about this family of fish. Can't explain it, I guess I'm just a huge fish geek. After I graduate, i will be going to "diving school" until I get all the certifications they'll let me have, and then it's off to find some work. My question to anyone out there who has any knowledge of the field....how do i make this my career? Where do i start? I live in washington state....so far i haven't found a whole lot of cichlid-related opportunities up here... :( Maybe someone will read this and send me a plane ticket to an under-staffed research station in Africa... :D Seriously though, if anybody has any advice for a young, eager, slightly obsessed cichlid-loving biologist about to hit the real world, I'd love to hear it. One of the best feelings in the world is to be excited about what you do...I've certainly got the excitement department taken care of, now all i need is a job!
Tanks
waterlynch

Don Hiatt
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Don Hiatt » Tue May 02, 2006 10:38 am

One of the best things someone can do with their life is getting a job in a field they love. There are many people in the ACA and on this site that are in the field of Biology in some form or other. I hope someone can add to my post. Check out some of the science journals out there. Many of the people that do articles in TFH, Aquarium Fish Magazine and others either teach or perform research in ichthyology or a related field. Hotjobs isn't a bad place to start either. I have yet to see a posting for "Cichlid Researcher" but, you never know.

Good Luck.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Wed May 03, 2006 2:18 am

And, if is seems not possible to get e job in a field you like, you can always make it into a major hobby. It's not my living, but I do breed quite a few fishes, and intend to expand this.

Bas

Don Hiatt
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Don Hiatt » Wed May 03, 2006 6:29 am

Yes, this is true.

Return to “Cichlid Conservation”